Chapter 36

After our talk, Cal summoned Maven and Atessa into his room. Part of my heart aches as I think of our relationship, but something also tells me that everything that has happened is for the best. It's been a week, and I'm beginning to feel accustomed to his attachment to Atessa. Perhaps our fantasy relationship was too good to be true. Although it did have its own flaws, ups and downs. Just as I had a relationship with Kilorn, Cal was gloating over Atessa when his brother was friends with her.

I just didn't think of that before.

The Calore brothers both agreed that it would be appropriate for them to announce the potential change of King today. Such a political change had been formed without Norta's consent before, but the people did not approve of the silence that it had been committed in. Cal does not want those events to replay. He wants to be one of Norta's most public Kings. Ideas that Maven started to branch on will be extended out and made into a forest of ideas.

However, the Silvers - nor any other Nortans - have had such a change in royalty. Using a vote. All the changes that have occurred were because the King or Queen passed away, or turned down the throne. All of the irregularities have occurred over the last couple of years, this generation of the Calores. The King was murdered by his own son - the exiled Prince, the Queen was murdered by a lowly Red with strange power that she did not deserve, their new King a drunk for the period of a year. It shouldn't be too much of a change, simply having the rightful King take his place.

King Maven, as one of his final acts as the proper King of Norta if he becomes voted down, announced that the exile of Prince Cal was not true. He somehow managed to keep his voice unwavering as he explained how his mother was a Whisper, and controlled his brother into killing the previous King. Maven does not mention how his mother warped his life until it wasn't recognizable.

Part of me can only think of Cal as the rightful King. My heart still stings at the freshness of his betrayal, how quick he latched onto his childhood love. Atessa has been nothing but gracious, bashful and nervous at the sight of me. It reminds me so much of the event that pushed me out of the palace, and that is why I still feel an unsteadying amount of distaste in her direction.

Maven grins wickedly, blue eyes resentful. I'm crumpled in a corner of my confinements, heart too damaged to have the will to fight back. Any hopes that I had about Cal coming back are dashed.

"Attention, Mare," the King of Norta hisses. "This show is just for you." Even though I want to look away, I still see it. Silent Stone makes up the solid walls around me, and I can't feel the lightning that gives me the edge of confidence that I usually possess. The King turns around, pulling a Silver woman with him.

They kiss, quick and sharp. Maven turns his hungry gaze on me, and I can't find anything human in him. He turns back, kissing the woman for a couple more intense moments before releasing her with a ravished expression. She does not react, and simply walks out of the door as if nothing has happened.

Everything around me appears blurry, except the silhouette of the man in front of me. His crown glints in the pale light, sending shards of painful light onto my retinas. Maven summons a flame onto his hand, illuminating his pale skin and crown. Licking flames shadow in his irises, pearly teeth glinting. I shudder at the image of the broken King in front of me, praying for escape.

"I thought you were better than this," I whisper.

"Pardon me, Mare? If you want me to hear you, then speak louder."

"I thought you were better than this, Maven!" I shout, standing up as fast as I can without passing out from the sudden rush of blood after sitting for such an extended time. The king flinches slightly, but I don't feel any remorse. Not after what he's gone and done. "You're just cruel, you know that? If you would change your ways, maybe things would be different. I would've been your Red Queen. But no, you had to be you."