Chapter 27

My heart catches in my throat, and I cannot speak. To kill one of the Calore brothers would be to kill a half of my heart. Just as killing another family member would destroy my heart, or Kilorn's death, so would one of theirs.

Both of them stare at me, looking expectant. I know that later on in my life, I may have had to make this decision. But I hoped that this would be when I had time, to get to know them better when there was no stress or obligations. Not now, when lives are on the line. Maven looks sceptic as he glances my way.

"Live your life the way that you want to, Mare. If it is Cal that you want to be with, then do so. Just do as you please. If that will make you happy, then I will be happy, too. Even in death."

I want to yell, scream, throw something against my enemy. Lightning crawls up and down my form. If I ever thought it at it's most powerful before, then I was wrong. It was never quite like this, and it probably never will be.

Barely processing the stares, I yell. "Move! Bronx, tell them to move."

The aforementioned boy flinches before he yells at the top of his lungs. "Move! Move, and get out of their way. Everyone, out." I worry that Maven may not be able to get out of the king's prying grasp, or Cal out of his cornered situation.

Yet at his words, everyone but me moves away from the prison corridor. Fluid, moving in torrents, they get out. They slip out of the Lakelanders' grip like ice and move like puppets scattering behind a closing curtain. The Lakelanders have no time to react, as they're all gone in seconds.

Bronx sends me a questioning look. "Look for Darcy's friend, and Maven's. Go, now." I blurt as fast as possible before turning my attention on the Lakelanders. I just have to trust that he's already gone, because now the priority is getting back.

Lights flash in front of me, everything becoming clearer and clearer. Sometimes in the Silver battle reports from the Bowl of Bones, they would say that everything would slow down when something went bad. For me, everything goes by in a flash, yet there is more clarity than in everyday life.

Energy sparks through me, both from human made and natural sources. The force field of sparks makes it's way through the crowd, and it hits the first soldiers. They all crumple to the ground at impact. Watching King Terrell twitch before he falls over gives me a feeling of pure satisfaction. Electric shock. I know that I am ready for this moment, that my power could not be any finer.

That is why I fight.

I will for my power to extend to where Queen Lilith stands, to knock over her just as I have been able to do to her husband. Something tells me that it is her who brought most of this on us. I think of the two Calore brothers, who are now standing outside the prison with destroyed minds.

Only when all of the panicked breaths have dissipated into ones worthy of a simple sleep do I exit the room. Energy still flows behind me like a ruined dress. Soon, pieces will rip off and float into the air. Perhaps someone will find the remnants on the ground, or in the air. They will only make sense to those who were there when it happened.

Sparks fizzle away until they have disappeared. Instinct leads me out of the place that they dare call a prison. It's too dark, too confined, to be a prison. A place where humans live. No wonder they scream like they did - the place is nowhere for those who are mentally unstable.

I try not to linger. Not only for my sake, for the sake of the others that want to get out of this place as well. My numb body relishes as it hits the light, spreading warmth throughout it.

The Nortan army stands right where I thought they would, in the alcove where Maven was supposed to wait. I can spot the Calore brothers, sitting together. Both look wounded, yet they still talk. Cal seems to thump his younger half brother on the back after saying something.