Chapter 4

Suddenly, everything that is happening seems to be too much for my over worked brain. My knees give out from underneath me, and I crumple into a heap onto the floor. Before I can stop anything, tears begin to leak down the side of my face.

I lay on the ice cold floor, unmoving; hating the feeling of hopelessness that I am experiencing right now. I don't mind what he's thinking right now. He deserves a reality check. Nobody has ever made me react to anything like this, I think. And it's true. Nobody has ever brought me to tears because of what they said to me. I feel sick with shock. Why would someone want to try to kill me - especially if they were supposed to be my friends? Though I don't know what Maven is anymore....

Maven is by my crumpled side in an instant, checking my vitals. "Mare..." he almost sobs, trying to regain his composure. "Mare... I had the executioner's blade and I was ordered to kill you for being a traitor and plotting against the crown.... I'm so s-sorry..."

A slam of the door seems to wake him from his reverie of despair. "Your Majesty...." a strangely familiar demanding voice interrupts from the door. Just hearing the tone in their voice sends an unwelcome shiver up my spine.

He stands up in a jerk, and a look of horror crosses his countenance, though it is quickly wiped off. I glance up too, and see someone who I was particularly hoping I wouldn't see.

Evangeline.

A horrible grin spreads across her face as she glides over to where I am sitting. I look away pointedly, and I notice that Maven has stepped back from me and towards Evangeline. I cannot think up a situation worse than this at a moment of personal despair. Evangeline knows exactly how to get at me and irritate me in a fashion unique to her.

"What is she doing here? She's supposed to be dead." She bites at the bit, already asking questions pertaining to my sudden arrival. I glare, despising how seamless she looks in a meticulously ironed gown and seemingly perfect hair.

"It's none of your business," he snaps, and I suddenly realize that his tone was calmer when I spoke to him. Before: it was gentle, almost caring. Yet I cannot understand why.

Evangeline nears me and leans down until she is at head level with me. I am too frozen with fear and shock to comprehend what is happening and to react. She strokes my cheek, and then slaps it hard. "Pathetic little girl. Of course it's my business."

She turns back to the King, and I notice the resentment that coats his face when he looks at her. But I also see fear. The woman seems to revel in this look, and continues on. Perhaps she can almost control him like he does to me, I marvel. Who would have known that Maven fears someone like he does her?

Ignoring the King completely, she towers over me and laughs. "When did he let you in? What did you do to persuade him? Don't be afraid to share, I also have my own tactics up my sleeve. Woman to woman. Let's admit it, we're both against the crown."

Deciding that I might as well tell the truth to the crazy woman, I answer: "I came, Lady Evangeline." When she gives me a slightly confused look - though still dignified, I elaborate. "Of my own accord. I came to see the King."

"Get away from her," Maven orders, glaring. His anger seems to be heightening after every moment that goes by.

Yet the Lady Evangeline does the complete opposite, and comes lunging at me, a dagger-like piece of metal somehow procured into her hand. I hold up my hands in protest, doing something that I haven't done for ages. I summon my lightning to protect myself.

But it's too late. Her dagger is already at my throat, and the lightning seems to be useless. The sparks on my hands fizzle out. I can sense that these will be my last moments, as I can already feel a slight cut. Looking down, there's already a trickle of my Red blood running my neck. The strange blood that empowered me, but caused all of my troubles. Along with my thievery, my blood has been the route of all the problems I have experienced over the last couple of years. 

But, it is also how I ended up meeting the Calore brothers. 

Finally, Maven takes action and lunges at Evangeline, who now directs the dagger at him. Yet he can fight back better than I can. He lights the bottom of her skirt on fire in a careless gesture. "You cannot maim the King, Lady Evangeline. It is considered treason."

She shrieks, glares at me, and is gone as fast as she came. Presumably to put out the fire that is greedily consuming her overly glamoured dress. I sit in shock for a moment, still glancing at the door where she left.

I can feel my weight being lifted off the floor in a whoosh of air. I look up, and see that Maven has picked me up into his arms. With a couple wide steps, he has reached the throne and has placed me into it. I am surprised by the ample cushioning it's padded with, and it helps sooth my weak muscles. "I'll be back in a minute," he says, and turns away. Outside of the room that his has been confined in for so long. What happened in the last couple of moments seem a daze, and I'm survived everything. Both King Maven and Lady Evangeline's terror.

It feels like one of the longest minutes in my life. That will surely raise some questions, the King being out of his chambers for the first time in a year. The pain is bearable, but I still wince every once and a while. Of course Evangeline would come and intrude when I really needed it.

But what occupies my thoughts the most is what Maven had just told me moments before. That he had almost murdered me for the power of the crown and his own benefit.

Author's note:

Thank you for over 125 views! I hope you have been enjoying this FanFiction. For all the Cal fans out there, the next chapter will have a lot of information pertaining to where he's at. Special thanks to madythorne00 , theselection5, MrsAaronWarner, and booklover4lifes for commenting on my work, their advice, and making me smile! Sorry if I don't reply to all of your comments, but do know that I appreciate them very much. I also appreciate it when you put my story on your reading list. Also, I have decided that my update days will be Saturdays and Wednesdays. Thank you for all your support!! ❤️❤️❤️

- Inkpen_Scroll