Chapter 17

He's gone.

Cal's not here.

"Where is he?" I demand, voice trembling. The others blink, and are clearly as oblivious as I am to his current location. The Queen of the Lakelanders looks around bleakly, but strangely seems unperturbed by her sudden kidnapping.

"Perhaps you shouldn't have been so distracted," Queen Lilith says. Her voice is like a soothing melody in the night's cool air, relieving to listen to after combat. Despite her being the enemy, many of the soldiers look at her with awe.

She must be popular with the Lakelanders if she even attracts our soldiers. I can spot Evangeline out of the corner of my eye, and she looks anything but content with our new prisoner. The Queen's hands have been bound together, and a Strongarm holds her tight within her restraints.

When the Queen talks again, she glances at me. "When you were taking me away, my husband was doing the exact same thing with the Prince of Norta. He saw what you were doing, and probably knew that it was useless trying to get me with all of your soldiers. My husband has taken him with his troops as a prisoner. Just as you are doing to me." I want to scowl, but I find that I cannot bare to scowl at this woman.

"Alright," Maven spits bitterly. He appears to be one of the only men who isn't affected by the Queen of the Lakelander's glamour. "Thank you for the information. Soldier, take her to the barricaded carriage. You may depart now," he orders, the latter part directed to everyone who's been waiting.

Everyone waits until he's departed, and then they go to their respective compartments. My whole being only wants to run back to the Lakelanders and get Cal back. Yet after making so many mistakes in the last couple years in my life, I know that I need to exercise my patience. If I need to plan my revenge, then so be it.

As soon as I enter, the whole carriage seems much emptier than it was not minutes ago. Many of the Nortan soldiers were injured during the confrontation, but I'd like to believe just as many Lakelanders are in the same situation - if not more.

My eyes scan the crowds of people, and I can only wish that the Prince of Norta was here. That Xena was alright. That Bronx didn't have to use his power for the first time in years to save his sister because she was almost dead.

Who knew what would happen if something went wrong on Bronx's side. If using his power for the first time in a while would be too draining. Everything has a limit, even our abilities. I can recall one of the combats that we watched on our televisions. One Stoneskin, a member of the house Macanthos, used his ability for too long. The whole battle. The battle was lasting hours on end, and he was beginning to turn a deathly white. His opponent, a Strongarm from Greco, was waiting on the sidelines to take over.

The colour of his skin began to flicker as it unwillingly transformed from stone to normal skin. And he was defeated, just like that. I can only hope that our fates are kind and Xena will live. Though I only knew her for a week, it would be devastating to me if she passed away in her first real fight. I have no clue how Bronx would react if she passed.

I flit my eyes back down to the ground as I try not to think about Cal. Cal, who is with King Terrell of the Lakelanders. A King who is rumoured to be harsh with his prisoners. If only it had been me that they had kidnapped, not him. Had I looked as attractive as Queen Lilith, then perhaps I would be.

The Silver guard who stands at the door of the carriage offers me his hand, a genuine smile on his face. I gladly accept it, grinning back as I feel how gentle his grasp is. "I'm truly sorry about the Prince, Miss Barrow. I do hope that we're able to find him soon, for your sake."

"Thank you, that means a lot," I say, smiling weakly as I hold back my tears. Despite the Calore brothers, he's one of the only ones who has actually been decent in their manner towards me. Especially now, that's all I need. "What, may I ask, is your name?"

"Darcy, miss. I know who you are, though. Almost everyone does. Marcus Lerolan told me about you - second cousins, we are." As he speaks about his distant family, his tone sharpens. His eyes, I realize, are like Maven's. Yet they are a richer blue, like the one that you would find in deep expanses of ocean. "I know how you feel, Ms. Barrow. They took my fiancée. She didn't even fight them, and then they took her. Laila. I haven't seen her since."

At Laila's name, his eyes soften. After a moment, he sighs, brushing his chestnut hair behind an ear neatly. "Darcy, I know that we'll find her. Just as you'll help search for Cal; I shall help search for Laila. Deal?"

"Deal."

*()*

The carriage ride felt longer than it had when we were arriving. Any anticipation that had been lingering has now disappeared, and reality has replaced it. False hopes that Cal might have been dressed up, pretending to have been captured and pulling a silly joke, have gone.

Neither the King or I tried to make conversation, for we were both involved in our own thoughts too much. Now we both sit in the garden, trying to make sense of the situation that the Lakelanders have put us into. As soon as we arrived at the palace, Xena and Bronx were ushered to the medical wing in hopes that the Skin Healers would do something to help. Queen Lilith was put into one of the more comfortable rooms that was designed for more important prisoners. Whoever designed this palace actually did have good practicality.

"You miss him, don't you?"

It's out of the blue, yet I know that what he's referring to is true. I nod slowly, bringing my uneasy gaze over to Maven's. His hands are tightly clasped in his lap, and know what he's thinking. "You do too. I think we all do, secretly. Why do you ask?"

He smiles weakly. "Mare, I'm not blind. You don't have to pretend anymore. He loves you. And I know how you feel for Cal, and I shouldn't be getting in the way." Suddenly, his face darkens; and he looks out into the distance.

"I-I love Cal, but I do love you too," I say, trying to get back into his good books.

Maven turns to look at me, a fresh scowl on his face. Not moments ago, his eyes seemed alive; although they had been filled with worry for his older brother. Now, the life has been drained from them, leaving them cold and emotionless. I render something dead inside of him. "That's not possible. You can only truly love one, Mare. If you don't, you're going to end up hurting somebody."

"That's not necessarily true, Maven. It depends on how big your heart is, and how you love. Well, maybe you need to stop being so selfish! Think of what has happened to Bronx and poor Xena!" I don't even bother to mention Cal, for it will just tear up my heart more.

"I'm not trying to be," he says calmly. "I wasn't trying to be mean to Bronx before. It's just for our safety and that we all survive that I do that. The situation was a little suspicious, that was all. Now I know that I'm wrong. It's what my friend told me before. She always knew, and she was always right - I always overreact. When I react, I do it too fast."

"Who exactly was this friend, Maven?"

He shrugs, and then looks directly into my eyes. "Truth is, I don't really know anymore, Mare. My mother sent her away a long time ago, and sometimes I think that she's returned. But she was sent far away, and I haven't been able to talk to her for such a long time. Truth is, I'm not even completely sure if she's alive."

Author's note:

Thank you for reading! Just a quick character summary: Darcy is a Silver guard who has lost his lover due to the Lakelander war that Ethan Titanos and his wife died in. Please vote and comment if you enjoyed.

- Inkpen_Scroll