Chapter 9

The sunset touches the tallest buildings, making them shine with pleasure. The balcony rail gleams in the warmth of the sun, keeping us from the darkness enveloping the scene below. Shards of light flicker into our eyes, but we have eyes for nothing but each other. Somehow, we have dealt with the turmoil of trying to get back to normal after the strange year of confusion we were both put through.

In some ways, the distance that we had between each other made all the difference. Before, I had never experienced not being with Cal. But being separated from him made me feel strange. I realized how much I did rely on him, and still do. Even not seeing Maven for a while felt abnormal. Although I had only known the Calore brothers for a short period of time, I felt their absence very heavily in the year of separation.

I had met many boys during that period of time, all of which seemed to vie for the Lightning Girl's heart. Even Jessica had boys flocking after her because of our connection. But that was the thing that separated the brothers that I so adored from them. Maven more as a close friend, and Cal as a lover. They both never saw me as the Lightning Girl, the strange newblood Mareena Titanos. Rather, they saw me as Mare Barrow, the thief with her brothers's earrings. Though she changed, they never quite regarded her as others did.

The cold wraps around my shoulders with icy talons, causing me to shiver slightly. Cal notices, and he takes my hand. He kisses it gently, smiling all the while. "Should I light a fire for you, my darling? Or will the fire between us be more than enough?"

Snorting, I reply, "so long as it doesn't scathe me." 

"And you must promise that it will keep burning as long as we both live. For I could not bare to live in the cold without you," I add, knowing that fate can work in cruel ways.

Cal leans in closer to me, breaking off my requirements to be completely happy. But as he kisses me, I can think of nothing else in this life to do. "You never will get cold, Mare, so long as I am here to warm you up. Before I met you, I thought that the flames of my heart had been at their highest. When I met you, I knew that they were little more than a sparking ember. You coaxed that flame, and made it burn higher than ever. And I must say that right now, it is at one of it's highest points. I realized what the fire was like without the heat and oxygen."

I flush, finally realizing how different out lives were before we met each other. Perhaps we both had it easier, but now we know how to face hardships in our lives together. We were in a safe haven, but we never knew what life would be like had we adventured. I remember a quote we learnt in school. Before I had dropped out majority of the time and tried to earn money for my family by stealing. It had struck me in the heart, and it seemed to signify my ultimate goal when I stopped attending school. In a way, it had been the turning point that secured my decision.

"A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for," I whisper. "Perhaps I never knew what the problems were in the world before I met you. I never knew what true love was, and how it could make one's life better in such strange ways."

"I couldn't have put it much better," Cal says, and I can see the fire dancing in his eyes when he speaks. "I felt pressure to actually look after someone, though you do not truly need protection. I knew that your family was large, and I could see the lost look in your eyes when you felt abandoned.

Some say that love is a weakness, and I must say that it's a contradictory idea. Love is your weakness, but it also makes you stronger. Gives you a real reason to live, spices your life. Introduces new flavours."

His words fill up my heart, making me feel that spark of happiness I had once believed I would never experience again when I had to run away from the palace. Running away, knowing that it would be near impossible to find Cal again. But it was achieved, just as nearly everything I had thought was improbable happened, contrary to my childish beliefs. Now I know better.

I lean into his chest, almost shivering at the warm breath that is being breathed onto my hair by the man that cradles me. I cannot believe the types of love I have witnessed in my life. "Cal, I've had it all. The love of best friends, the love of parents, the love of siblings - old and young alike. The love of a lover once lost, and the continued love that is absorbed by us."

Cal nods, and we both let the silence reign over our thoughts. It's been a long time since I've had the chance to reflect on everything, so it's welcoming. And I can sense Cal feels the same way, and I wonder what he really had to go through with his troop.

I think to ask, but darkness and warmth has enveloped me in a comforting blanket. Sometimes I don't think I realize how tired I really am. I think Cal understands, for he lets me lean into him even more, putting all of my weight onto his shoulders. "I love you, Mare," he breathes softly, and my heart feels as if it will melt underneath the fire that is the love of Cal.

"I love you... too," I slur as it becomes an effort to keep my eyes open.

Giving in, I let sleep take over my mind, oblivious to the changes that will come tomorrow.

Author's note:

This is just a little Cal x Mare scene that I thought I would include before some more drama. The quote in this chapter is one of my favourites. The image is from brainyquote.com, and I believe that it has been attributed to Grace Hopper, but I have also seen similar quotes attributed to William Shedd or John Shedd. Either way, I love the simple yet deep message it holds. Thank you for reading!

- Inkpen_Scroll