Chapter 28

I hope this is the last time in my life that I have to travel in a carriage because of something associated with the Lakelanders.

Everything that we say or do reminds me of another trip. Which is not something that I would like to relive. That is why I asked to get away from the prison as soon as possible. Had we stayed a moment too long, then I would have become plagued by what we were seeing.

Xena hasn't asked me about what happened in the prison, with King Terrell and his army of Silvers. Nobody has. Yet I don't mind. Instead of asking, she stands stoically by my side as the others are assigned to their carriages. I know for a fact that I will be staying with either the Scarlet Guard or the royalty. Ever since I became wrapped up into their world, I have been considered a member of their group. You have to accept that now, Mare. Even if you don't want to.

As always, Bronx stands by his sister. Although he is silent, as always, there is more to the silence that he brings. I hate how the Whispers can tear people like us apart with one nosy thought, one interrogation.

Suddenly, Xena turns to face her brother. The trio of us has been silent, watching General Calore take over for Maven. All of us lost in our thoughts. "Bronx, you know that all of that was for an apology? For everything that happened, and paying you back for keeping me alive."

I try to pretend that I'm not there, but Bronx still looks chilled. "I know, Xena. We're even now, but I'm still gonna protect you again. Make sure that they don't take control of me again."

"Whispers, they change everything," I mention softly. "They can say just what they want, just so that everything can change. Can you do that, Bronx? Sure, you can control the others. But can you look into their minds?"

"Naw. I would really despise my power if I could do that. Don't know how the Silvers can deal with it, to be honest. They're different, though. They don't have a heart, and sometimes I cannot tell if they have one in the first place."

You better hide that heart of yours. It was something that Maven told me, long ago. Perhaps he was right, but I have a hard time hiding it. Glancing over at him now, his heart does not seem noticeable, unless you look closely. Unless you know him. Then you would see how his eyes do not always hold anger, how his eyes can glint with frustration. They hold a myriad of emotions. To some, the lake of emotions looks still. If I look, I can see the inferno tumbling below.

Xena nods. "Me too. I think their Silver blood changes them. I'm glad you can't see my thoughts, Bronx. That would be so strange."

All of a sudden, Bronx begins to laugh. "What are you hiding, Xena?" Her glare doesn't compute with the expression he holds on his face. "Alright, alright. But I know who you like, if you're wondering."

Her expression becomes murderous. "Who?" Bronx leans into her ear. "K-"

Although I hear only the first consonant of the word, I know who it is immediately. It isn't hard to guess. I've seen the way she looks at him, sometimes. "Did you hear, Mare?"

Unable to keep myself from lying, I nod. I know the troubles that lying comes along with. She flushes crimson, hiding her flaming cheeks behind her hands. "It's alright, Xena. I don't mind in the slightest. After looking out for him during all of those years, I'm glad that there is someone who may be able to appreciate it. Someone who could look after him, just as I did before."

Xena nods, her face still flushed. "Of course."

"Lady Barrow," a voice booms, and it is my turn for my face to flush. Just like at school. I immediately begin to reminisce to when Kilorn and I were in school together, and the teacher would always call out on me. When I didn't know the answer, and I was simply left flushing in my seat until they would look away.