Chapter 34

I'm fairly sure that Maven has made up his mind about the memories, now. Considering that he went to tell the Silver Healers about his decision this morning, I'm sure that there's no other way that he could turn back on his decision now. Not unless he wants to face his infuriated friends and family.

Before I had left, I asked Maven what the turning point was for him before he made the final decision. The way that you told our story just pushed me off of the edge. Perhaps it was harsh, but sometimes we need a rude awakening to realize what life really is. If we continue living in fantasy, then life will never truly be what it is in our minds.

My family received the explanation about everything that had happened after their meal when I had woken up. I had felt guilty that I left them like that. So I made up the time with my new niece and nephew.

Shailey took a longer time to warm up to me than her twin brother. Like his namesake, Shade is ever sociable, pushing himself into conversations without listening to what the group was previously talking about. Of course, he still can't make proper conversation very well. Majority of the words are a jumble, and he's pushing himself between others.

I never pictured Farley being a good mother. It wasn't that she didn't have the guts to do it, rather than the fact that I wasn't sure that she had the compassion. Given how she would always be the cold leader of the Scarlet Guard, I didn't think it possible. I probably didn't even notice the finesse of her compassion - my brother. Not until it was too late and I found myself regretting almost everything.

I wonder how the rest of us would fare if we had children, and how we would take on that burden. The responsibility of a child could ruin the life of one person and enhance the life of another. It's been such a long time since I've considered an infant. Not since I lived in a fantasy of illusions with Kilorn. Back then, we both believed that life would be simple, despite the conscription. We had planned everything if Kilorn had managed to get another apprenticeship. Even I would've tried to get a job.

Those illusions never fabricated, as most feverish dreams fail to present themselves. The dream of a child with swift feet and green eyes remains in the depths of my thoughts, and yet it does not seem obtainable given everything that has happened.

Shailey and Shade play in front of me, looking at some type of toy that previously belonged to a Silver child. I can make out a vague character in Shade's fumbling fingers, one that is clad in a soldier's uniform. Silver children are brought up for jobs, after all. Trained from the first years of their lives. The Calore brothers, more than others.

Being an aunt gives me strange insight into a child's life. Gisa came into this world when I was too small to remember, and now I can see the naïvety that children are blessed with. Some are rid of this faster than others.

"Having fun?" Farley says from the doorframe, a slight grin on her face at the sight of the twins. Shade is giving a pouting Shailey some Silver toy, and his sister gives him a sloppy kiss filled with appreciation. "You can go if you want, Mare. I can look after them now."

I take this as a silent sign that it's time for me to go. "Alright."

The nursery is not too far from my own room, and it's been a long day. Time for a rest.

*()*

Part of me isn't surprised that I slept in the whole morning, and I haven't been productive all afternoon. Even though I went to sleep early last night.Yes, but you deserve a break, my mind argues. After fighting with the Lakelands, having Cal taken away, another confrontation, and Maven's illness - you deserve a break.

Perhaps the Silvers would laugh at the fact that I slept in, but I am not one of them. No matter how much some may wish that I am, I'm not. I cannot change who I am, and what blood I have flowing within my veins. If they cannot accept that, then I cannot be friends with them.

Deciding to end my procrastination, I pull myself out of the bed that I've been lazing in. My mother would not approve of this, but I'm an adult now. I slip into a presentable outfit, and make my way out into the hallway.

Almost instinctively, I lead myself to Cal's room. Rubbing my hand against the back of door, the twists and notches of the wood feel ever familiar. Perhaps it is out of my imagination, but I feel like the area is so unique to me. I remember standing here, waiting to see Cal.

Twisted grins, harmless flirtations, all when I was engaged to Maven. The secret giggles and the dance that we shared, even though we were engaged to someone else, and we could've been in immeasurable trouble if we were caught. Indifferent glances as we began to separate, realizing that our fates were sealed and that there was no chance of us being together. Then, we were gone from the palace. It's a different feeling, now. Pensive and tired, yet still hopeful for the rest of the day. These moments aren't dictated by what Cal's parents have told us to do, and I don't feel as if I have any obligations. I can choose what I want to do and who I want to be with.

Every moment was precious to my heart. Yet it is shattered as I hear a feminine giggle, followed by a husky laugh emanating from the room. They creep their way through the crack between the door and the floor, making their way into my ears. Shaking my head, I assume that it is just my imagination playing tricks on me.

Although I try to dismiss the thought from my mind, it feels like something is stabbing my heart right at its weakest point. It can't be who I think it is. It just can't. Another couple managed to get into his room. There's no way...

Placing my ear against the wood proves otherwise. The two voices murmur things, loud enough that I can hear that they are talking, but soft enough so that I cannot make out what they are saying. The husky voice has to be none other than the owner of the room's.

I shudder, doubt filling my mind. Curiosity killed the cat, Mare. But satisfaction brought it back. My hand jolts back and forth from the door, until my hand reaches for the handle without my mind's approval. I start acting on instinct, and I say the first thing that comes to my head.

I really do hate to intrude on their special moment, but... "Are you two.... a thing?" I ask, standing right in the front of Cal's bedroom. Cal startles at my voice, and Atessa pulls herself away from him like nothing was ever happening. "Funny, because I thought we were a thing before, Cal."

Atessa backs away, putting herself as far away from the door as she can. The prince, to my disgust, also tries to maneuver himself away from my furious expression and being. I can only imagine the lightning that is beginning to surround my form. "Mare, I can explain everything-"

"Oh, really? That's rich," I scoff, voice getting louder with every word as I begin to seeth. "Then how come I find you here, with Atessa? I wouldn't mind, had you told me before. I thought you were meant to tell me everything!"

"How come you were talking with Maven, and then you proceeded to kiss him? I think this is two sided—"

I feel a hand being placed onto my shoulder, and I whip around with distaste. The touch is not welcome given the mood that I'm in, and I almost shout at the offender until I realize that it is none other than the King himself.

"What is going on here?"

Cal flinches before he scowls right back at his brother. For a moment, I almost don't recognize him as the boy that I felt in love with during Queenstrial, before I fell for Maven. Both of the Calore brothers look their Silver part, facing off as if they're in the Bowl of Bones. I can guess who would succeed if they fought, but I don't want to see it happening. It would be a fierce fight. Part of me wants to look at Atessa for reassurance, but I find that I cannot trust her anymore.

"Tiberias, you do know that if you are causing a disturbance, I can punish you for it. I am not afraid to put my powers as the King to good use." Maven's voice is detached, and it scares me more than I'd like it to. Yet it doesn't scare me as much as what Cal says.

"That's rich, coming from a man who is no longer the King."