Chapter 38

Marcus' smirk is the only hint to me that he is pulling off another one of his stupid practical jokes. That's probably why Evangeline likes him so much. Her talent of sarcasm probably rubs well with his mockery of other's faults, and their scurrilous adventures don't help anything.

"Now, is this what you were told to tell us, Marcus?" I needn't bother using his proper name if he's going to be probing at us. Yet my question is asked in vain, as the Silver Prince had already departed in a rage of revenge. "You do realize that there could be serious reprecussions for what you have done, Sir Lerolan?"

For a moment, Marcus regards me as if I am his superior - a fellow Silver. I make sure that my gaze does not waver, as that would break the illusion. "I'm sorry, my Lady. It was simply a joke. King Cal Calore has officially become engaged to Lady Atessa Eagrie. He says he hopes that the public will be happy with his decision."

Sir Lerolan walks off, leaving me gaping. That was fast, Cal. Perhaps he was just waiting for Atessa after all. I feel sparks rise off of me just as a territorial dog raises it's hackles. Calm down, Mare. Perhaps he just wants to seem organized to the general Nortan public. Considering how corrupt we may have appeared before, it may do them good to see something happen. Perhaps that is why he has planned everything the way he did.

My rational thoughts calm me down, even though I still feel resentful towards Cal. I divert my anger and channel it more towards Sir Lerolan and the guts he has to confuse Maven. I'll get to him later. The last time I saw Maven a moment ago, he looked furious.

With that thought alone to fuel me, I begin to walk in the direction Maven departed in. I stride with an unique sense of purpose. Evangeline walks with this type of assured swagger, and my elated self feels pride in taking it on. She should be here to see the hopeless Red now. More thoughts press me onwards, reminding me that a King that had just been voted in would go to his throne room and sit for a day in his recently acquired area.

Whoever made the palace had lots of sense. The commonplace for the nobles, throne room, guest rooms, and official voting room are all on the same floor. The prison is the bottom floor, and all of the royalty's rooms are on the top floor. Another middle floor houses all of the servants and select Reds. The Calore brothers offered my family the best of their guest rooms, proposing that they could stay there permanently if they desired. Even the newbloods from the Scarlet Guard like Xena and Bronx were given somewhere to call their home.

Rational thoughts begin to slip away, and doubtful ones replace them. Hold on, Maven. Don't assume anything. Calm down. I begin to think that heat permeates the hallways, and I rush even more than before.

I burst through the throne room halls, getting the chills at the memories I get from the place. Smashed wine glasses, a malicious King. The room is still dark, but something is lighting it. Two separate sets of flame heat up the room. Two Calores fighting against each other, possessing the same power. Only the strongest will win.

*()* Maven *()*

Part of me is glad that I don't have to wear that darned King's uniform when it's so hot in here. But I'm a burner, and I'm used to heat. Combine two burners' powers in one fairly refined room, and then you have a problem. Pinpointing the ever prominent emblem of power, the crown that my mother relished so much, I begin to feel the flames waltzing across my hands increase their tempo.

Cal always takes everything. He took the best girls, my father's heart, the crowd's adoring whistles. He left nothing for his weakling of a brother. They called me the Shadow Prince in the streets. They used to call me the weakest King ever to govern Norta. Even Mare admits it, stupid little prince. She said that everyone thought you had done nothing for your own country's economy.