Chapter 12

After my last training day with Cal, everything seems strange. Tomorrow, we'll be fighting the Lakelanders. We're not even sure whether all this training will be put to use, as the King hasn't been specific with what his intentions are. Who would tell their enemy their next steps?

Maven and Cal have planned for the worst. They're convinced that something bad will happen if we don't, and I can't say that I'd rather be underprepared.

Sometimes it feels disgusting that we are preparing for war. A battle that may end in casualties on either side. The sick thing is, the Calore brothers were trained for such excursions for almost all of their lives. They would fight for fun to see who was the strongest. It was simply entertainment, while the Reds would slave away below them for the rest of their lives.

I wonder whether the Lakelanders are going through such training in their lives. What would it be like for us if we were on their side? Perhaps Cal and I wouldn't be separated by our status too much. Of course, Mare: There will always be blood that pushes us apart.

Oh really? I argue with myself. How come the King and Queen didn't mind my engagement to Maven, then? Who knows what the other kingdoms are like outside of Norta. Maybe they don't even have blood separation.

In my ideal world, there would be no Reds and Silvers. There would be no Jessica, nobody that served the royalty just because they were different. Not just because they had Red blood, but they wanted to have that occupation. But the world just isn't one person's desire. It's what it happens to be.

"Are you still okay with this, Mare?" Cal demands as I finish the target game. It's fairly simple, with computer generated holograms that dance in front of me in a tantalizing fashion. All I have to do is direct my lightning towards the figures, and the device calculates whether the victim would be dead. If they are, the holograms tumble to the ground like a brick wall that's been hit in the cornerstone. Lethal, I know.

I nod firmly. "I've made my decision, whether you like it or not. I'm coming with you, along with all the other newbloods and members of the Scarlet Guard." Even Evangeline pledged her word that she would fight, though I doubt that it was a favour directly to the princes. She's probably still wanting one of the single prince's hands, or to take out her rage on some poor Lakeland soldiers. I pity any of those men who are underneath the wrath of Evangeline Samos.

Cameron stands confidently at the window, glaring at all of the Silvers that walk past. When she spots a Red, she waves. Although Cameron would state otherwise, I can see the slight curve of her lips as she does so. Farley, they tell me, had a child during my absence. Two babies, in fact. Shade's children. The feeling almost numbs my loss of Shade in hopes that his legacy will live on in his twins. Shailey, his little girl; and Shade, his little boy. My heart leaps with excitement as I think of the prospect of being an aunt to twins, and I make a mental note to visit Farley when this battle is over. I don't want her and my family worrying about me at the moment. Ada stands quietly at another target practice, and moves soldier like pawns across a battle strategist table. She's made the game even more advanced, as she wants more of a challenge to 'be prepared.' Kilorn stands in the room beside her, wielding a sword and utilizing a similar room to me in his practice. I've noticed that the two have been closer together since when I last saw them.

Kilorn is happy to know that I've been alive this whole time. More than happy, I suppose. He greeted me with a huge embrace, muttering that he missed me.

I'm waiting at the entrance of the training room for the newbloods and some of the other members of the Scarlet Guard. My heart is beating erratically at the thought of seeing my companions that I fought with long ago once again, just to fight some more.