Chapter 4

The next morning, I'd told my mum that I was going to Jaelyn's house after school. She accepted that, and I took Noah and myself to school.

The whole school day, Jaelyn was excited for me, that I'd be able to go to the doctor's that night. I was also excited, but I wasn't as excited as Jaelyn was. She was so happy I'd agreed to go. I knew I was excited about being able to go, also. I was sad about one thing, though. The person who would get to see my baby first, other than me, wouldn't be Logan. If there was anyone else I'd want to be there with me at my first sonogram, it would definitely be Jaelyn.

Throughout the day, I was thinking about Logan. I thought about how I would have regrets because of not telling him, but I believed it would be best to not tell him right now. I knew that it was definitely the right choice for me. I couldn't hold the guilt of being the reason an amazingly smart and talented boy like Logan didn't get to go to Harvard, his dream school. I knew that would haunt me forever. I couldn't let that happen, and there were sacrifices that had to be made because of that. I would definitely tell Logan sometimes, but I wouldn't let it be for a while, until he was out of school, maybe when he came back to Australia if he ever did.

Same as the day before, I could hardly focus during the school day. It was so hard to pay attention when so many things were going through my head. Finally, the school day was over and I jumped into my car, drove Noah home, and sped over to Jaelyn's house.

When I arrived at Jaelyn's house, she barely even let me inside her house before we left. She basically pushed me out of her door and to her car, into the passenger's side. She got into the driver's side and began driving towards her mother's workplace.

"I talked to my mum last night. She said she'd do whatever it takes to keep you and your baby healthy. She told me that, with your insurance, you should be able to pay for the visits yourself. Plus, your insurance won't bill your parents because she called last night and, since your insurance runs through her partnering hospital, they've agreed to send all of your insurance papers to my address. And she said that if you weren't able to pay for the visits with your own money, she'd gladly pay for them for you. Like I said, she told me she'd do anything to keep you and that baby safe. You're basically her adopted daughter, and she'll do anything for you," Jaelyn chuckled as we got close to the doctor's office. Her side of the conversation had taken up most of the car ride. Granted, the doctor's office wasn't far from Jaelyn's house, but she had still talked a lot and told me a lot.

"That's great. Thank you so much. I can't thank you enough for doing this for me. I love you and your mum so much. I'll have to thank her when we get there," I told her, smiling uncontrollably. Now, I wasn't so focused on the fact that Logan wouldn't be there to see our baby at the first sonogram, but I was focused on how much Jaelyn's mum has done for me and how much she cares about me. I couldn't ask for anything more.

"So have you thought much more about a job?" Jaelyn wondered. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours since we'd last talked about that, but she still wanted an update. In our friendship, there never seemed to be a moment where one of us said, "Nothing's new." We told each other everything, and I mean everything.

"I have, but not very much, being honest. I don't know where I'll be able to work. I think a very good job to have would be to babysit. Since I'll be doing it all of the time soon, I want to care for kids as a job, I guess. I think I'd really like that. Plus, my mum always says she knows lots of families with kids whom they need babysitters for. I'm going to ask my mum more about it tonight," I explained to her.

"So... You have been thinking about it a lot, then?" She wondered, giggling.

"I guess you could say that," I nodded and shrugged as Jaelyn pulled into a parking space. I took a deep breath in and out. I looked at the doctor's office sitting before me and opened the car door. Jaelyn did the same thing, never taking an eye off of me.