Chapter 9

The next morning, I woke up and Jaelyn was standing in front of me with a tray. She smiled down at me and placed the tray on my lap after I'd sat up. I was confused at first, but then I saw my Mum, Dad, and Noah standing at the door.

"Lily, it's your last morning without your baby boys in this world. We wanted to make you a special breakfast," Jaelyn told me.

"Thank you so much," I smiled. I could barely see the tray on my lap past my belly, so I moved it out a little further. I looked up at my family and my best friend and laughed.

As I ate my special breakfast, Jaelyn sat next to me and talked to me for a little while. She seemed a little more restrained than she usually did, but I figured it was because she realized that soon, our friendship wouldn't be on my front burner. She would be replaced by my twin sons. She wouldn't be completely replaced, though. Yes, I'd have to spend most of my time with the babies, but she'd be right there for me to help me with them.

"I really want you to tell Logan," she told me, and it was then that I knew what was bothering her.

"Jaelyn, I'll tell him when I feel comfortable. We've gone over this. You support me either way, right?" I asked, and she nodded. "I wouldn't be able to handle telling him right now. It'll have to wait."

"This is something way more important than saying 'it'll have to wait' to. These are his sons we're talking about. But if you don't want to tell him-" she stopped when she saw me crying. "Lily, what's wrong?"

"They're his sons," I told her, almost unable to keep my composure. I knew this, that was obvious, but it really hit me at that moment in time. These two baby boys that were inside my womb contained Logan Irwin's genes. They were his children as much as they were mine. I had to tell him, but I just wouldn't let myself tell him. I was torn.

"Yes, they are," Jaelyn nodded and smiled at me.

"I can't tell him, though," I finally decided. She nodded and understood. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I knew what it was right away. It was a contraction. There was no way this was happening on the day I was scheduled to get a c-section.

"Lily, what happened?" Jaelyn asked as she saw me doubling over, almost lying in my food. She took the tray off of me and helped me get out of the bed as I motioned for her to do so.

"Contractions, now?" She wondered as I stood up and nodded. She yelled down to my parents to get the car started. I could tell they immediately knew why because they didn't even answer; they just went and did it.

Soon, I was dressed and had grabbed my hospital bag I'd already had packed. I got down to the car and sat in the back seat with Jaelyn as my mum drove. My dad and Noah got in my dad's car and drove separately. They were right behind us the whole way to the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital, they got me into a room quickly. A doctor checked me and told me that I was already nine centimeters dilated.

"I'm not sure how you didn't have contractions earlier," he shook his head in disbelief, "but you're soon going to be ten centimeters, and that's when we'll have you begin pushing."

Jaelyn handed my mom the video camera to get a video of the birth. Jaelyn was getting ready to videotape with her phone. My mum pointed to Jaelyn's phone and whispered something in her ear to make Jaelyn nod. My mum's eyes got wide, but she smiled at Jaelyn's screen. I had no idea what that was about, but I wasn't going to investigate. I was only worried about the two baby boys I would soon be holding.

When the doctor came back in about ten minutes later, he told me I was fully dilated, and that I could start pushing. Jaelyn and my mum had both started filming even before that.

Not too long after I began to push, the doctor announced to me that I was crowning. Both Jaelyn and my mum looked up at me with excitement in their eyes and a smile on their faces. I continued to push and soon heard faint cries. The doctor lifted up my first baby boy and handed him to one of the nurses who brought him to my side as I rested for a few seconds. Jaelyn asked the nurse if she could capture the baby boy on camera quickly, and the nurse let her and my mum before she took the newborn baby boy away to have some tests done.

The doctor asked me to start pushing again, so I did. It seemed like forever until my next baby boy was brought into this world. Once again, the nurse brought him to me so I could see him before letting Jaelyn and my mum get a short segment of him. The second nurse then took my second baby away for tests.

Jaelyn walked out of the room quickly. I could hear Jaelyn say a few things into her phone before she walked back in. I wasn't sure what she was doing, but I didn't really care. My mum was sitting right beside me, and she told me how great of a job I did.

Soon, even though it seemed like forever, the nurses brought my boys back to me. My mum wondered what I was naming them, even though I'd already announced the names, so I told her, "Kai Fletcher and Kane Lawrence."

"I love those names, Lily," she smiled at me and asked to hold one of them. I refused just for a little while. I told her she could hold them soon, but I'd heard it was good for the mother to cuddle her newborn(s) before many other people held them. In all honesty, I didn't want to ever give them up.