Chapter 11

It had been a little over four weeks since Logan had arrived home. Jaelyn was only in Perth for about a week after Logan got back. I was constantly making sure that Logan didn't find out about the boys until I wanted him to.

A few days after Jaelyn came home from Perth, her family got news that her grandfather on the other side of the family had had a stroke. That side of the family lived near Brisbane.

"I'm sorry I have to go again. I don't know how long I'll be away. My pop really seemed to have a bad stroke," she told me while packing her things. "I hope I won't be away too long. Maybe you could have Logan over more often to keep you company."

"But that would most likely require me to tell him about the twins," I protested.

"Exactly," she gave a slight smirk. "I know what's going on between you guys. You won't be able to hide the boys much longer because of how your relationship is with Logan. Please, tell him soon."

"I promise I'll tell him soon, but not too soon. I definitely won't wait another three and a half years to tell him, I can promise you that."

"Okay. That's good to hear," she smiled as we walked from her room into the living room where Kai and Kane were playing.

"K's," Jaelyn used our nickname for the boys to address them. "Auntie Jae has to go away for a while. You be good for your mummy."

"We will," Kai responded, smiling at her as she kissed his forehead.

Jaelyn kissed Kane's forehead as he whined, "You're going away again?"

"Yes, Kane. I'm sorry. I'll be back as soon as I can," Jaelyn assured us as she rolled her suitcase out the door and shut it behind her.

It had been almost three weeks since Jaelyn had left for Brisbane. She called me often; most of the time she was telling me about how her grandpa still wasn't doing very well, if not worse.

One night, I woke up at one in the morning and ran to the bathroom, feeling extremely nauseous. I threw up what felt like everything I had in me. I tried not to be too loud, for I didn't want to wake the boys.

I must not have tried hard enough, for I heard a loud cry, "Mummy!" It was Kane.

I made my way to his and Kai's room. Kai was awake too, looking up at me as I walked in. I picked Kane up from his bed, and he laid his head upon my shoulder. "What's wrong, baby boy?"

"My throat hurts," he explained, "and my head hurts. I feel bad." I looked at him worriedly. I placed my hand on his forehead, feeling that it was terribly hot. I walked towards Kai's bed and felt his head. He was burning up, too.

"I don't feel well either, Mummy," Kai complained.

"Boys, Mummy will get you an appointment with the doctor as soon as I can, alright?" I smiled at them, laying Kane back down in his bed. As soon as I did, he threw up on his sheets.

I pulled him out of his bed again, taking the sheets off and throwing them into the wash quickly. I grabbed two buckets and gave one to each boy. "Throw up in here if you feel the need to," I instructed.

As I was getting the wash started, I heard vomiting in the boys' room, coming from both of the boys vomiting into their buckets. I was worried that I was sick as well. I hoped that if I did have what they had, I'd be able to get over it quickly so I could help them get over the sickness.

I tucked Kane into bed after switching his sheets and giving him a fresh blanket. I cleaned their buckets into the toilet and washed them out before returning them. After I did so, I ran into my bathroom and threw up into my toilet once more. After I did, I still felt horrible.

I brushed my teeth and used mouthwash. I could still taste it, but it wasn't as bad. I sprayed my bathroom so it wouldn't smell like it did before. I sprayed the boys' bedroom all over with bacteria clearing spray. It made it smell better in there, too. The boys were already fast asleep again.

I got back to sleep in the comfort of my bed until I was woken up many other times by the boys puking. I must've cleaned out each of their buckets over a million times that night.

When the morning came after a long, stressful night, I called the doctor's office and got an appointment for early that morning. I packed the boys up along with their buckets and took them to the doctor's office.

We walked into a room, and I placed both of the boys on the table because they weren't yet tall enough to get there themselves. The doctor walked in and smiled at us. He asked the boys, "How are you two feeling today?"

The boys looked at him glumly. They didn't say a word, but they kept their heads down. I answered for them, "They were up most of the night last night throwing up, and they both said their throats, heads, and stomachs hurt. I'm worried they might have the flu."

"Well," the doctor began, "let's test them, and we'll see. Those are all likely signs for the flu. Oh, I almost forgot! Would it be alright if we had a student doctor in here during your visit?"

"Uh, yeah. That would be fine," I answered him while rubbing my boys' backs. He walked out of the room for a minute or two and came back with another man, a man taller than him with longish, curly, dirty-blond hair. The assistant doctor was wearing a white lab coat, just like the professional doctor was wearing. I focused on the assistant's hazel eyes, ones I could never forget.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the twins' heads pop up when the door had opened. Their eyes now glowed, unlike how they seemed to be feeling.

"Daddy!" They exclaimed in sync, and I almost fainted.