Chapter Eight | Fate Thing

Hot is a good way to describe a lot of things. That includes a stove top when it's on fire, Matteo, the middle of July in Arizona, and how my body felt when I woke up this morning.

I wasn't even entirely awake when I realized I was far too hot to just be sleeping alone. I'd woken up on various occasions next to someone. Obviously, I knew what it felt like to sleep next to another person. What was so extremely foreign about this feeling, though, were the shocks that seemed to stretch across my skin and seep into my veins leading to my heart where it created a certain warmth.

My eyes flew open knowing exactly why I was feeling this way. My body went stiff, and I found myself being slightly disgusted by how much I was enjoying Matteo and I's position.

I was pretty much curled into a ball around Matteo's arm which was thrown lazily over the side of my stomach. His torso was pressed directly against my back, and from the amount of heat I was feeling, I suspected he was without a shirt. I wasn't sure if a should fist bump the air or fake a seizure in order to get out of the cuddly situation.

I'd never been much of a cuddler, but, for some God-forsaken reason, I was really enjoying being wrapped up in Matteo's arms. And, I do mean really.

Deciding to go against practically every single bone in my body, I gritted my teeth and slowly unraveled myself from Matteo. Trust me when I say I went against every bone. I'm pretty sure I was not only going against my spine, tibia, femur, rib cage, and whatever other types of bones there are within myself, but I was also going against all seven trillion nerves in me, as well. I don't even know if there are seven trillion nerves in my body, but I know that I was going against them.

I effectively removed myself from Matteo's grasp. I had to seriously hold myself back from crawling back into the bed with him. With a final huff after staring at his godly-self from the edge of the bed for like five minutes, I turned around and headed toward the door.

"It's kind of amusing seeing such a little thing like yourself trying to fight against something so big as a mate bond," Matteo's voice cut through the air making me freeze just as I was reaching for the door knob.

"Who said I was denying it?" I asked aloud causing him to chuckle.

"It's not that hard to see, Kaia. You're just as blunt with your motives as you are with your words." The bedside lamp turned on suddenly and I took that as a signal that Matteo wanted this conversation to be face to face. With a quiet sigh, I forced myself to slowly turn around. I did exactly what I thought I would do if I looked into Matteo's deep blue eyes. I melted and completely shut down.

"You must be blind then," I stated trying to focus my eyes on anything other than his eyes that seemed to make my fingers go numb. Even though he was just laying there in his shirtless glory showing off his absolutely god-like body, my eyes seemed to want to travel up the his eyes. That never happened to me. I admit, I'm a sucker for a hot body. "If I wanted to deny our bond, I would have just left already."

"And you just weren't?"

"No," I said a bit too quickly. I paused trying to put the right words together. "I'm just not good in cuddly situations." I expected Matteo to understand or ask why, but instead he laughed at me. He just blatantly chuckled at my honesty. "What?" I snapped slightly annoyed.

"It's just a bit funny that you say you aren't a cuddler."

"Well, I'm not," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.