Chapter Forty-Six | It Only Got Sketchy Twice

"So, Matteo isn't actually going to die?" I asked, walking back and forth. I'm pretty sure my pacing was creating a draft.

"He's not supposed to," Taylor responded, her body slumped back in the chair. I felt the beat of my heart skip a bit. He's not supposed to. What kind of reassuring response was that?

"Because the bullets aren't actual silver," I reminded myself. The bullets in Barron's gun weren't actual silver. They just looked like it.

"Of course not." Well, at least she didn't say, 'they aren't supposed to be.'

"And, Barron is bringing him here?"

"Yes."

"And, wait, why couldn't they just kill Adrian while they were there, again?" My brain was on an information overload. We'd gone through all the details twice, and, for some reason, I still couldn't wrap my head around it all.

"For starters, they'd never make it out of the pack house alive," Taylor explained, raising a finger for each point. "Second, every alliance that Adrian formed would come for you guys. The goal was to avoid as much blood shed as possible."

"Right, right. Protecting me, but also the pack." I sighed. My head was pounding. If there were little people up there, they'd be running around mad, trying to sort and organize the files of information I'd just taken in. It was a lot. "I just feel like they could have taken him out, especially with Barron's help." It was more of an outward thought than a response. Taylor, however, responded anyway.

"Kaia, you're forgetting Barron's incentive." Matteo's pack. Right. He couldn't have Caedes if Matteo was still 'alive'.

Taylor had explained Barron's thought process. His alliance with Adrian was built on the basis that when this was all said and done, Adrian would assist him in his efforts to take Caedes, allowing Barron to murder my mate at the earliest convenience. It didn't quite make much sense to me why Adrian wouldn't want Caedes for himself, but I suppose his bloodlust and desire for revenge was greater than his greed. Barron and Matteo then made an agreement that if Barron provided Matteo and I with safety, Matteo would willingly hand over Caedes. It would provide the pack safety being in Barron's hands and provide Matteo and I safety, as well, in Barron's land. It was the easiest, safest way to go about it.

"Oh," I mumbled, "right."

"Anything else?" I could tell by Taylor's tone that she was becoming bored and a bit irritable.

"This is my house." My statement was quick as I stopped my pacing and pointed at the floor.

"Yes." She was definitely annoyed.

"Barron is taking Caedes."

"Yes." She was going to kill me.

"Am I missing anything?" I asked, believing I'd managed to cover all of my bases.

"You're a Canadian citizen, now," she reminded.

"Well, yeah. That's just understood."

"Then, no. I don't think so."

I sighed, relief flooding me. It had been about an hour of running through it all, and I just wanted to take a nap. There was no way in hell that I was actually going to be falling asleep until Matteo walked himself through the front door, though. My body was tired, but my mind was restless.

"Do you know when they will be here?" I asked, plopping myself down on the couch. Taylor dragged her hand tiredly down her face. She looked due for a nap, as well.

"No idea," she shrugged. "The last message I got from Barron was before we got on the plane—said he and Matteo were just arriving at Vindicta's pack house." I bit the inside of my lip, thinking of just how long ago that had been. The problem was, I had absolutely no idea how long ago that was.