Chapter Twenty-Eight | Pancakes For Brunch

"We should invest in a mini fridge."

"Why would we do that?"

"Because sometimes I get thirsty, but I don't want to get up because you're warm," I explained as we pulled into the car garage intended for the pack house. With all of the people living in the house, it only makes sense that all of their vehicles are stored in a giant garage adjacent to it. "If we had a mini fridge beside our bed, I'd just have to lean over, grab some juice, and then pass back out."

"Mhm," Matteo hummed as he whipped his sleek, black car, that I didn't know the name of, into his parking spot. I never cared enough to know the names of cars in the past, and I didn't now. He put the car in park and shut it off using a button which I didn't understand. I was always convinced that cars used keys, but I guess not. "Your stomach okay?" He asked making little butterflies erupt in my stomach. I silently prayed that I wasn't about to throw up. I nodded with a smile and grabbed the bottle of motion-sickness medication.

"Yeah, this is like my new heroin," I joked, but Matteo found it anything but comical. His serious facial expression left me confused for a moment before memories of when he had explained to me when we first met that his mother died of a drug overdose. That changed my attitude really fast. "I mean, not heroin. No, no not that. I don't like needles," I babbled trying to make the situation better, but only managing to make it worse.

Thankfully, Matteo being his unemotional self just rolled his eyes, took the medicine from me, and got out of the car. "Hey, wait for me! I have small legs!" I hollered as I jumped out of the car and ran after him.

I swear I heard him chuckle, but by the time I caught up to him to see his face, he was completely stoic.

"I know you laughed," I stated confidently as Matteo pressed some buttons on the security system outside of the door.

"Shut up," he countered, making me smile. The click of the lock sounded alerting us that the door was now open, and we entered.

Immediately, we were greeted by someone who I felt like I hadn't seen in weeks.

"You guys said you'd be home an hour ago. I've been waiting here the entire time like an idiot," Jack complained.

"He's not lying," Daniella's voice sounded from somewhere in the area. From where, I don't know.

"Well, she was hungry and wanted to try pancakes, so we got brunch," Matteo said casually.

"Pancakes?" Jack repeated as if he wasn't positive that he heard Matteo correctly. "Brunch?"

"Yeah, they were so good! My dad never let me eat them," I replied. I always wanted to try pancakes, but my father wasn't a fan of my brother and I eating sugary food. We had a pretty solid diet of meat.

"Since when do you eat pancakes?" Jack asked Matteo.

"I don't. Kaia ate them. I just sat there," he stated simply.

"What?" Jack whispered to himself in confusion. I could pretty much guess it was because Jack knew just as much as I did how impatient Matteo is and how much he dislikes being around me when I eat food. That was never a secret.

"Anything I should be aware of before I'm pleasantly surprised?" Matteo cut to the chase. Sarcasm dripped from his monotonous, deep tone.

"Nope, not really. You've got a phone call this morning, but that's about it. Patrols are smooth, and the group we sent to Parvus Pack returned yesterday afternoon all in one piece. Once again, I had the situation under control," Jack smirked proudly. He was such a dork.