Chapter Twenty-Six: Part One | Okay, Whatever, Derek.

"Are you sure about this?" Matteo asked making me gulp. My heart was racing like crazy as I just stared at the giant pack house in front of me through the car window.

"Yes," I said confidently, but on the inside I was crumbling like a piece of stale bread.

"You're lying," he accused making my head turn to meet his handsome face abruptly. His brow was raised obviously testing me to deny him. "I can hear your heart racing." My strong façade vanished and a frown replaced my features. Matteo reached his arms out to me and pulled me to his chest.

"I'm getting to see the man who abandoned me after like five years, and for some reason I can't help but feel excited," I admitted. "Is that wrong?"

"Well, do you want the truth?" Matteo asked making me sigh. He didn't even have to say what he was thinking for me to know that he thought I was insane for wanting to see Parker, my dad.

After the phone call with my brother, I didn't know what to say. I kept asking Matteo if this was all just some sick joke that he thought would be funny. He went on to assure me that the only sick joke in my life as of now would be my father.

Matteo was really not a fan of him. I didn't blame him, though. I did tell him some pretty shitty things about my dad. I just couldn't help it. I couldn't help that I still cared. He's my dad, after all.

I was internally a mess. The little people in my head were basically running around setting fire to everything they touched in a failed attempt to fix my inevitably life-damaging issues. I was calm, cool, and collected on the outside, though.

Okay, maybe that was a lie.

I was doing good handling my emotions until I accidentally threw Jack down a flight of stairs. It was after I did that and continued screaming at him from the top of the stairs about how I was thinking about just throwing myself out of the seventh story window that Matteo took me to our room. We spent the rest of the day in there. He let me rant and punch him whenever I had random spurts of anger. He also held me and rocked me back and forth when I got to a point where I felt like I wanted to cry, but I don't do that, so I just sat there emotionlessly staring at nothing.

It wasn't until that night that I brought up actually seeing my dad. It was a hard no from Matteo. It took a while to convince him, but I eventually won as I normally do.

So, here we sit; in a car in front of Socius' pack house.

"He's not completely terrible," I mumbled into his chest.

"He still hurt you."

"You hurt me, and I still like you," I countered. I didn't even have to see his face to see his eye roll. It was practically burned into my conscious by this point.

"But that's different. At least, I try to fix my mistakes." I sighed sadly once again at his words.

"Please," I begged, pulling away from his hold to look him in the eyes, "don't make this harder on me than it's already going to be." His expression softened as he leaned down to give me a swift, apologetic kiss. He pulled back, and I could tell he wanted to apologize but getting the words out were practically an impossibility for him. I wasn't going to push him. He had already said it once this week. Instead, he just said that we should probably head inside and ushered us into the pack house.

His hand was placed against my lower back guiding me to the door. From there, we were met by Aleksei and two house guards who lead us to where they were holding my dad.