Chapter 4

{edited}

   The tiny plant curls itself around my fingers as I sit on the edge of my bed, playing absentmindedly with a miniature potted rosebush.  I stare at it, not really paying attention as I change the color of the blossoms.

What have I gotten myself into?

Why would I ever agree to help the man who singlehandedly ruined my existence? Why would I take in his son? Why would I choose to let him stay here after he tried to take over my world? Because, after everything I've been through, somehow I'm still sort of almost nice.

I curse at myself.

I really need to not be nice.

I look around the room, soft green light filtering through the window.  Green hues adorning almost every object. 

"I like green." He had said.

I chuckle at the memory. Well.  At least he won't have a problem with the color scheme.  Glancing outside,  the light is orange and fading to a purplish-gray. I huff and stand, deciding to light the lanterns before the sun sets completely.

Stretching, I stand on my tip toes to reach the sizable lantern handing from the ceiling in the center of the room.  I touch the wick with my finger, and a small flame begins to dance as a result.  It will do for now.  I don't need to see the room if I'm not in it.

I grab my fairytales and begin to wander down the hall, repeating the process with the lights  scattered along the walls until I reach the living room, where I grab a stool to reach the large collection of individual glass globes strung from the ceiling in the shape of a chandelier.  The process of lighting the candles contained inside is tedious, but it's beautiful when finished.

I am so absorbed in the process that I don't hear a door opening in the newly-lit hallway, nor do I hear light  footsteps approaching me.

"That can't be very convenient." Loki blurts out loudly.

I nearly fall off my stool.

"Son of a-" I decide not to finish that particular remark. "You scared the bejeezus out of me." I look to the unbearably thin man, who is observing my reaction with an annoyingly amused expression glued to his features.  He chuckles a little but says nothing. 

I shake my head slightly and continue lighting the inconvenient lamps.  "Well, you're right.  But it does add a wonderful ambiance don't you think? And it saves loads on the electricity bill."

Loki nods, but has seemed to have lost interest in my endeavor, wandering about the room, fiddling with the various nicknacks that decorate the hearth.

I roll my eyes, and jump down from the stool, "I assume you're hungry?"

The god straightens, his shoulders aligning, "I do not require your disgusting, Midgardian sustenance."

I raise an eyebrow at him, though his head is turned in the opposite direction. I swear I can almost see the ego dripping off him.

"Right. Well, if you're not hungry you don't have to eat," at this he turns to look at me, his face an emotionless slate as I continue, "but I'm starving."

I waltz over to my living wall, waving a hand over the tree branches and causing them to grow various fruits and veggies.

His eyes widen slightly, "I don't understand..."

I chuckle a little, gesturing around my home, "Surely, you didn't think this happened naturally?"