Chapter 13

"Mother? Is there anything I can help with?" I ask politely.

She smiles gently, "No, Flora. I'm almost finished with the bread. You may go outdoors if you wish."

Finally.

"Thank you, Mother." I smile happily and hurry outside.

She only hums in response.

I begin the small walk to the little stream, passing the goats in their pen, enjoying the warm sun on my skin.

I lay down on my back, enjoying the sun's gentle warmth.

I freeze. Where on earth had that come from?

I shrug and shake it off. I suppose I always did have quite an imagination.

I continue, watching the trees sway gently in the breeze, the cool wind brushing the hair from my face.

I furrow my brow. This all seems...very familiar.

I laugh at myself. Of course it does, silly girl, you make this walk nearly every day.

I finally reach my destination and settle down, watching the water. I look up and spy beautiful yellow blossoms weaving their way through the trees. I smile and wait for the next breeze to send the honeysuckles' sweet fragrance to me.

I do not have to wait long.

However, when the wind blows towards me I am not greeted by the delicious scent of the flowers. In fact, I am greeted by nothing at all.

How very strange...

I rise and make my way towards a cluster of lower hanging blossoms, holding them close against my face. I inhale deeply.

Nothing.

Perhaps I've come down with a cold.
I sniff and find myself breathing easily.

My forehead wrinkles in confusion.

"Flora dear, are you well?"

I jump and turn to look at my mother, who looks at me in concern.

I did not smell the savory scent of the bread she was baking.

I did not smell the goats in their pen.

I shoot her a shaky smile, "Yes," I wrap my arms around her. My dear, sweet mother, who always smells of herbs and spice. I inhale.

Nothing.

Her arms reach up to push me back, only enough to search my face.

"Then what is bothering you, dear?" She asks worriedly.

Flashes of an unbearably thin, raven haired, jade eyed man with features so sharp you could cut yourself invade my mind.

Loki.

I can not smell.

"Nothing, mother." I say in a whisper, "It's just," I pause and look at her, longing to smell the herbs and spice more than anything, "I love you."

She smiles and strokes my cheek. I lean into her touch.

"Flora, darling. I love you too."

I want to stay.

My eyes well up with tears. "Goodbye."

She blinks in confusion as I force the delusion out of my mind. As I force him out of my mind.

She begins to shimmer and fade along with everything surrounding us, a much more unfriendly reality replacing the one I so longed for.

I shake my head, attempting to clear the last remnants of Thanos' illusion from my mind and observe my surroundings.