Chapter 25

I open my eyes, simultaneously pushing myself up against the rock.  My head aches, no doubt the result of my skull forcefully being slammed against the hard stone.

It had been so simple.  So perfect.

I always forget how easily peace can be broken.

We were still in Loki's room when Thor ran in.  He saw Endre but didn't seem to care about the light blue slowly fading from the little boy's skin. He informed us of a direct threat against the palace.  Loki tried to persuade me to stay with Endre in my chambers and I took the child there to hide him.  Ida was already there waiting for me, she slipped me into my armor (a gift from the Allfather) without hesitation.  She knew there was no point in trying to stop me.  This was my home.

I'll be damned if I'm not going to fight for it.

I ran toward the sound of battle, which took me to the outer gates.  I spied Thor and Loki fighting side by side.  Sif took down three of the enemy in a matter of seconds.

I didn't have time to watch for long.  One of them came running towards me with some sort of electrical spear.  I snapped its dust-grey neck with a root before it came within three feet of me.

I remember Loki sprinting towards me, yelling something about the Chitauri and trying to get me to go inside, but being interrupted by an unseen force which slammed him into the palace wall, knocking him unconscious.

I tried to run to him, but then I heard it.

I heard Him.

I should have known it wouldn't have been so easy.

"Hello, Flora."

I turned to look at the titan.

"Thanos.  You're supposed to be dead."

He laughed, "You didn't think I would be so easy to kill, did you?"

I open my mouth, "Well actually-"

The unseen force affects me this time, lifting me in the air so he could look me in the eye.

"Flora.  Dear Flora," he spat, "you should have joined me when you had the chance.  You could have been at my side.  My most trusted advisor.  My favorite pet."

I snarled, struggling against the invisible bonds, "I will never join you."

"Oh, I know. You've grown too powerful for me to influence," he smirked, an evil glint in his eye, "but not powerful enough to stop me from killing you."

I ground my teeth together, "Go to-"

He slammed me to the ground, my head hit a rock.

And here we are.

I glare up at Thanos, who appears to think I was unconscious, and is now walking towards Loki.

"Don't touch him, Monster." I seethe.

He turns, and I summon roots around my feet, influencing them to crawl up my arm.  He sees and laughs, "You can't scare me with your tree tricks, Pet."

"We'll see." I retort quietly.

He narrows his eyes at the challenge and begins running at me, keeping his eyes on the roots.

I shoot them at his feet and he avoids them easily.

What he doesn't avoid is the fireball I have been making behind my back.

It hits him in his side and he crumples with an agonized yell, which turns quickly into strained laughter, "Clever! Using two gifts at once!  You have grown!"

I see a slight shimmer in the air and am thrown backwards once again by Thanos' magic.

I brush it off quickly, my senses suddenly sharpening as I concentrate on my strategy.

Before I act, however, a bolt of lightning shoots from the sky, aimed at Thanos.  He deflects it and laughs, before attacking Thor. 

I join the Prince, and we fight him for a while with no progress until Thanos seems to get bored and throws both of us against the ground. 

"Thor," I start, "I'll need to borrow your lightening in a few moments, but until then can you keep him distracted?"

He furrows his brow but nods, "How shall I know when to-"

I interrupt, "You'll know."

He nods and we both get up. I run in the opposite direction while Thor and Thanos take turns attacking eachother.

I glance at Loki, who is still on the ground.  Panic grows and my heart begins beating quickly in my chest but I push it down, focusing on the task at hand.

"Please work. Please work. Please work." I mutter to myself.

Skidding to a stop behind a wall, I begin slowly stirring that air in front of me in a circular motion. As it gains speed, it starts picking up more air and anything light enough for the little whirlwind to carry. I take a few steps away, letting it build in size and strength.

I take the water from a nearby grove of shrubs, freezing them into spikes and pushing the icy daggers into the tornado.

I shoot little bits of flame into the mix because why not?

My creation continues to grow, influencing the weather itself as I guide it onto the battlefield, where the fighting has come to a standstill as both sides take in my weapon.

Finally, Thor catches on and lightning begins to swirl in the funnel.

With a deep breath, I capture the Monster's hands and feet and pull him to the ground. Before he can break free I give the weapon a burst of energy and push it at Thanos, effectively trapping him inside.

His yells reach my ears as he is pierced repeatedly with sharpened ice and burned with lightning and fire. They go on for minutes before he finally grows quiet. I wait.

I won't make the mistake of leaving too quickly.

After a few more minutes Thor comes to place a hand on my shoulder. I barely register his voice telling me to stop.

But I do, and the tornado dissipates.

I turn away before I can see what it left in it's wake.

I begin to stumble over to Loki, my energy drained from the strain of the amount of power I used.

Slowly, the edge of my vision blurs and turns grey, spreading inward. I gasp for breath, falling to the ground.

No. I'm almost there.

I need to get to him.

A distant familiar voice reaches my ears, "Lady Flora!"

I feel myself being lifted, and see a pair of worried blue eyes before my own eyes shut.

And I sink into the abyss.