Chapter 5

{edited}

   After our first conversation went so swimmingly, Loki announces that he is bored.

"What are you expecting me to do about it?" I prop my head on my hand and stare at him. I am not his maid.

He raises an eyebrow as if the answer should be completely transparent.  After a moment of silence he sighs and clarifies.

"Entertain me."

"What?"

"Be less boring."

I begin to chuckle, which, of course, turns into an uncontrollable giggle.  I only laugh harder at the extremely confused expression on the face of the god sitting across the room.

"And what," he inquires with a slight growl, "is so amusing to you, mortal?"

I do my best to regain my composure, ignoring his little pet name, "Well," I begin, "you seem to think you're the one in control of the situation here. You are in my home. You have on shackles and can't even change your shirt. You can not get food or water on your own. You would not be able to speak if I had not allowed you to, and yet, somehow, you still think you've got the control. But the best part is that-" I break off as another fit of giggles erupts without warning.

Really, it isn't that funny. But it's also really funny.

"Go on." He says through gritted teeth.

I wipe at an invisible tear, mimicking his earlier action, "Is that when Odin and Thor asked me to do this, I asked them if I would be like your babysitter. But I didn't realize how accurate the term is. You are behaving almost exactly like a spoilt child." I finish my explanation, and regain control of my laughter. I look at Loki, who seems to be very interested in the floor.

"I am not a child." He says thickly.

I feel another amused smile spread across my face. At least he isn't bored anymore. "No, you aren't. You're just behaving like one."

He remains silent, still attempting to stare a hole in my floor.

I sigh heavily, deciding to make amends.  "Do you like books?"

"Yes." He says, after a moment of consideration. 

I stand, "Come with me."

He debates doing as he's told for a moment, but at the promise of books he stands slowly, avoiding eye contact. I lead him to the section of the treehouse where all my favorite rooms are, lighting lanterns as I go.

I stop at a larger door than the others. I briefly consider re-making the library scene from Beauty and the Beast, but ultimately decide against it and push the door open, revealing the dimly lit library.

I step inside, Loki following slowly, taking the room in.

I move to the stone fireplace and light it, illuminating the room a little more with a soft orange glow.

"I'm sure it's nothing compared to the libraries on Asgard but it's going to have to do." I mumble as I move around the room, lighting the numerous candles scattered about the room.

"It shall suffice." Loki says absentmindedly, pulling a book off the shelf, our previous conversation forgotten.

I roll my eyes as he sits down at the square table in the center of the room. My poor mother would be livid at the amount of eye-rolling I've been doing lately.

However, as I watch him become completely absorbed in the novel a slight smile spreads across my face, it becomes more amused as he struggle to turn the pages, becoming increasingly frustrated when the book keeps slipping, or closing all together. It's sort of funny, but after a moment it's too much to bear.