Chapter 15

It's been three days. Three days since my arrival on Asgard.  Loki still hasn't woken up but Eir says he should open his eyes soon.  Odin requested my help in one of the gardens surrounding the grand palace.  This is the only reason I'm not at Loki's side.  There at about five separate gardens, each more beautiful than the other,  filled with what is assume are flowers from other realms. 

However,  I am not standing in a beautiful garden.  Instead,  Odin has led me through one of the gardens, through hidden archway, and into a smaller garden.  There are a few stone benches, covered with climbing vines, and a little swing hanging from the branch of a large tree.  A little pool rests in a corner of the small paradise.

It looks like the perfect place to sit and read,  or simply enjoy some silence.

Only,  every plant, every blade of grass, every leaf of every tree or bush, every flower,  is dead. 

Tears automatically spring to my eyes, this place is overwhelmingly sad.

"This," Odin begins slowly, "was Frigga's special garden.  She and Loki alone would spend time here.  This place meant so much to her.  She tended the flowers with such care." He reaches a hand out to caress a dried up flower, which I can only imagine was beyond beautiful in life.

"After she died it was like the garden died with her." he looks at me sadly, "We had our finest gardeners here tending to the plants but nothing would help.  We even let Loki in here momentarily to see if there was anything he could do.  Not even he could bring life back to his mother's beloved garden."

"That is...awful," I take a deep breath, "but why are you showing me?"

"I think, perhaps, you may be able to help." He says gently.  I begin to protest and he holds a hand up to stop me, "I only ask that you try.  It would mean so much to us.  To all of us."

I soften, "I'll do my best."

He nods once and turns to walk away, giving me privacy. 

I once again take in the garden.

This is going to be difficult.

I take off the beautiful slippers Ida had chosen for me this morning and place them gingerly on one of the stone benches.  I move the fabric of my dress behind me so I can walk without fear of tripping.

I take a step forward onto the dried grass and close my eyes.  Immediately,  overwhelming sadness and grief flood my heart and I know that is garden is unlike any I had ever known.  Enchanted.  This place,  once beautiful and peaceful,  was now cold and barren for it had lost the person who gave it life.

The tears once again fall freely down my face.

I've been crying way to much since I've been here.

I open my eyes and walk to the large tree in the center of the garden.

I place my hand against its bark, "I'm so sorry." I whisper. 

I lean my head against its trunk and think of my mother,  willing the garden to see that I understand what it's like to loose the woman who raised you. 

I vaguely feel a shudder deep within the tree.

I remember every tenant, everyone whose ever known my secret and accepted me for it. 

I feel great roots begin to stretch and grow,  encouraging the other plants to wake up.  I smile, knowing the branches above me are mimicking their roots.