Chapter 22

I'm walking along the Rainbow-bridge towards the Bifrost. I hear footsteps behind me.  Whoever it is is obviously trying to catch up.

Loki hasn't spoken to me beyond a few words in three days. I know what's going on, it's like when we were back at the treehouse. It's like when he was convinced that the whole situation with Thanos was his fault when it was mine.

Except this time, it isn't my fault, and I can't tell him it isn't his fault because I don't know what happened, and I don't know what happened because he won't say anything. See? Now we're back to the beginning. His nightmares don't just happen once a night. He isn't sleeping, he's barely eating, and it's taking a toll.

I have never felt so useless in my entire life. I don't know what to do, or how to help him. When he wakes up he tries reading, but it doesn't seem to help. I can't read to him, since I can't read Asgardian.

I can't stand being here, watching him suffer this way. I can't take it, which brings me to why I'm walking along the Rainbow-bridge towards the Bifrost.

"Lady Flora!" Thor booms as he finally reaches me, "Wait!"

"No, Thor. Your dad already gave me permission to go." I mumble.

"Yes, he told me. You can not go, Flora!" He is slightly out of breath from running the length of the bridge, but still manages to sound upset.

"What do you mean I can't go? What don't you understand?" I nod as I approach Heimdall, "You know why I'm here?"

The golden-eyed man acknowledges me with a half-smile, "Of course."

Thor spins me around to face him, looking at me angrily, "You can not leave him."

I arch an eyebrow, "Woah. Calm down. It's only for a few hours."

He lets go of my arm, "What?"

My eyes widen as I realize what he must be thinking, "You didn't think-"

Thor looks down sheepishly.

I smack him in the arm, "You thought I was gonna leave him? Like for good? What's the matter with you, Blondie?"

He huffs, "You did storm out of the palace with no warning in the last of your Midgardian garments. You must understand."

I sigh and lift a hand to my forehead, "Yeah I get it I just-" I bite lip nervously, "I love him, Thor.  I know I already told you but I really really love him.  I wouldn't just leave."

A slow, knowing smile creeps its way on to Thor's face, "You do?"

"She does." Heimdall chips in. I shoot him a look and he opens the Bifrost, telling me what to do.

I turn back to Thor, "I'll be back soon okay? I just gotta get a few things."

He shakes his head, "I want to join you. I can assist."

I don't try to argue and we step into the portal, soon finding ourselves standing in front of the treehouse.  "Home." I whisper quietly.

We climb the steps slowly,  as I enter I half expect everything to be as it was when we left.  However, trees are living organisms and they grow as they will. The house is still mostly the same, but there are young branches and vines attempting to take over. I ease them back as we continue.

Thor finds baskets I used for laundry and I instruct him to find the library and start piling as many books into his basket as he can carry.  I grab the more personal things, including the little miniature rose bush and a few more clothes.  Also, I grab a toothbrush and toothpaste because Asgardian dental hygiene, while effective, is not very pleasant. 

I walk into Loki's old room and find my fairytale book still resting on the corner of his bed.  I hug it close to me for a minute before laying it gently down on the clothes I picked out.  When my basket is full, I set it down on the table in the living room and make my way to the piano.

I pick out a little melody, relishing the sound, until Thor notifies me that his basket is filled.

He isn't lying.

He has placed books on top of each other, piled them so high he can barely see above them.  He peers over the tower and grins broadly.  I laugh half-heartedly at the sight and thank him.

I grab my things and take one last look at the home, knowing I may not see it again, before we go back outside and call for Heimdall. 

Thor and I take the possessions back to my room.  Ida is sweeping the floor but stops as she sees us come in, struggling with the weight of many strange Midgardian items.  Together, the three of us begin trying to find places to pile all of the books Thor managed to bring.  After a while, books are lining the walls.  They are on top of the wardrobe, and stacked on top of the small table in the corner of the room. 

Ida begins unpacking the other basket and Thor joins her, insisting on "being of assistance."  Ida picks up the story book and goes to stack it.

"Wait." I say, "I have another place in mind for that one."

She brings it to me and places it in my hands.  I exit the room and knock on Loki's door.

No response.

There never is.

I turn the handle and peek into the room.  Loki is in bed lying on his side,  his back facing me.  As I circle around the bed I realize he is asleep, or pretending to be, and am careful not to disturb him.  I place the book gently on the pillow beside him.  I watch him for a minute before moving his matted hair away from his face and leaning over to place a kiss on his cheek.

"I love you."  The words are whispered, I can't bring myself to say them any louder.

Unwillingly, I tear myself away from the room and go back to mine, asking for some privacy.

"It's been a long day.  I think I'd like to take a nap if that's okay." I inform them.

"Of course.  Sleep well." Thor raises my knuckles to his lips before wrapping me in a huge hug.  I struggle to breathe but appreciate the gesture, smiling into his chest.

"Let go, you grizzly bear.  You're cutting off my oxygen." I laugh.

He does and grins at me before bidding a farewell to Ida, kissing her hand as he did mine, and leaving.

Ida stands with a blush on her cheeks, "Is there anything you need before I go?"

"No, Ida.  Thank you." I force a smile.

She looks as though she wants to say more, but nods instead, curtsying before departing.

I am alone.

I breathe a heavy sigh and untie my hair, kicking off my shoes in the process.  I collapse on the bed, curling up into a ball.  After a few minutes of staring at the wall I feel my eyelids begin to grow heavy and shut them, deciding not to fight the sleep that is attempting to give me a brief escape from the world. 

Before I can accept sleep's offer, however, I feel the bed sink slightly next to me, and two spindly arms wrap around my torso, pulling me tight against the person's chest.

They kiss my cheek and burry their face in my hair.  Then, in a voice as smooth as velvet,

"I love you too, Flower."