Chapter 23

From what I can tell, Loki is doing somewhat better. It's been two weeks since Thor and I visited Earth, and I can tell Loki is making an effort to move past the guilt surrounding his mother's death. 

He did tell me what happened, there were, of course, tears and anger.  There was nothing I could really say to him.  I told him all about my mother, the memories I had of her, the way her bread always melted in your mouth.  Eventually he shared his memories of Frigga, the ones I hadn't already seen. 

I didn't want him to stop, because when he was talking about his mother he couldn't stop smiling. 

And I missed his smile greatly.

There are moments when I know he is thinking of her.  There will be moments when we're having conversation and he suddenly stops, totally zoning out, or a look in his eye, or when he's reading and his eyes aren't following the words on the page.

Now, for example.

We're in a meeting with Odin and the warriors, discussing riots scattered across the lower towns.  The subject had Loki's full attention until he happened to glance at the empty chair at Odin's left side.  I squeeze his hand gently.

"Sire, there are many complaints from the rioters about a shortage of food.  I have been there, Majesty, there is truth to their words." Sif explains.

"I was unaware the problem had become so great.  The war with Maleketh took its toll, though it was fought mostly on foreign soil.  We can offer no help to our own people until our alliances with the other realms are renewed, for until this is done, we barely have enough food for ourselves." Odin rests his forehead in his hand, the weight of his position seemingly almost too much to bear.

"What of the Light Elves, Father?" Thor interjects, "They would help, would they not?"

Odin shakes his head slowly, "My son, you do not understand.  We can not let the other realms see we are weakened.  Many have tried to take Asgard.  Many would try again if they thought we could not fight back.  The treaties must be renewed to help prevent that from happening.  The Light Elves would most likely offer their assistance, but we can not let others see that we need assistance."

"What of the people then?  Are we simply to let them starve?" Thor asks incredulously.

"No." I answer for Odin.  I stand up slowly, "Hiya! I'm Flora.  I'm the one with plant powers.  I can give you fruit, vegetables, grain, whatever.  If you want meat, you're going to have to look somewhere else, but I can keep your people from starving." I turn to Odin, "Let me help."

Loki grins up at me and backs me up, "You've seen what she can do."

Odin nods thoughtfully, "I warn you, Flora.  There is much to be done."

"I know." I say.

"Then I accept your generous offer, Lady Flora Addams of Midgard.  We shall be in your debt." Odin announces formally, for the sake of the noblemen also at the meeting. "Thor, the Warriors and Sif will escort you through the villages."

I nod, knowing it would be unwise to allow Loki to accompany us. I glance down at him, and he nods gently, letting me know he's alright.

Only two hours later, I am standing on the inner-edge of a dusty field at the border of the first famine-stricken village. The people gather around, keeping their distance, muttering about the strange girl who has come to their little town. There is obvious doubt in their eyes. What could I do? A Midgardian certainly could not offer any assistance.

I feel a slight tug at my skirt and look down.

A little boy, who looks to be around the age of eight by Earth's standards, stands staring up at me with a dirt covered face and tattered clothing.