Lunch with his Mother

Leila's POV:

It is the morning after Miles' mother's party. I am sitting in the kitchen, sipping on some coffee when Miles walked into the kitchen with a phone in his hand. I could tell that he was talking to someone important because he didn't greet me. I didn't bother talking while he was on the phone. I didn't want to be a distraction or be rude. 

He turned around and put the phone up against his chest. I set my coffee cup on the counter and looked up at him. 

"What?" I asked.

"My mom is wondering if you would like to join her for lunch today." explained Miles. "She would also like to know if you could meet her at the country club at noon, so you two can have lunch together."

"Um, I don't know." I replied. "I suppose that would be fine."

Miles put the phone back up to his ear and told his mother that I would meet her for lunch. I picked my coffee back up and took another sip. Eventually, Miles hung up the phone and placed it gently on the counter. I looked up at him and could tell that his mother didn't just invite me to lunch. 

"What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing," replied Miles. "However, it does seem like you've made quite the impression on my mother."

I smiled. "Miles, you're avoiding the question."

Miles came over to me and took a seat next to me. I turned my body, so I could look straight at Miles. After the call with his mother, he has seemed a little tense. 

"My mother would like me to talk with my father, but I don't feel like doing that yet. I know she wants us to be on good terms; however, I just feel like it's not the right time." explained Miles. 

"There is nothing wrong with that. If you are not ready, then your not ready." I advised. 

Miles turned his head toward me. I kissed him on the lips before I got out of my seat and walked out of the kitchen. I only had an hour to get ready. I went into my closet and picked out a slim black dress to wear for lunch today. I dressed it up with some jewelry and put on some heels to match. I walked over to my mirror, where I looked at my reflection. Everything seemed in order. The dress shows all my curves and compliments my body really well. 

I went downstairs and crossed paths with Miles, who stopped to look at me. 

"You look beautiful, Leila." complimented Miles.

"Thank you," I thanked. "You don't think its too sexy do you?"

"No, you look absolutely elegant."

I gave Miles and kiss before I walked out the front door. One of the guards opened the SUV doors for me to climb into the car. The ride didn't last long. I was dropped off in the front of the country club, so I walked in and followed the signs to the dinning area. I walked up to a gentlemen and told him that I was here to have lunch with Miles's mom, Marry.

He led me over to a table, where I saw Miles' mom sitting. She stood up and greeted me with a hug. 

"How are you Leila?" asked Marry.

"I am good, how about you?" 

"I am very good. I was so glad that you could make it today. I wasn't sure you would since I gave you late notice, which I apologize for. "

"Well thanks for inviting me." I replied. 

Marry and I took our seats at the table. We ordered off the menu and waited for our food to be prepared. The country club was very elegant. No matter where I looked, I saw gentlemen dressed nicely, and women who were dressed in fancy outfits. This is definitely a posh place. 

Marry took a sip of her water and said, "So Leila, you're probably wondering why I invited you today. And I would like to get straight to the point and tell you why I invited you."

"Okay."

"As you probably already know, my family isn't normal. My husband use to be a crime boss and my son is a gang leader. However, that isn't all of it. My son and my husband don't see eye to eye anymore. Mathew was never really around and Miles did everything to get his attention. He went to law school and not even that caught my husbands attention. So, when Miles became what he is, it finally caught my husbands attention, only to cause conflict between them." explained Marry. "My husband appears to be jealous of Miles. He was once a crime boss and once the cops were getting too close and were on his tail, he was forced to stop the life of being a crime boss and so he did. What you need to understand is that Miles comes with a lot of baggage and you need to make sure that this is someone you want to be with."

"I understand where you are coming from and your points, and I appreciate the heads up. I am aware of Miles' extra baggage, but I am not too worried about it because I love your son, Marry. Miles isn't like anyone I've ever met before. You should see the things he does not only for me but for his friends." I said. "So, you don't have to worry for my behalf. I know what I am getting myself into. I knew that when I met him."

Marry smiled across the table at me. I could tell that she was relieved to hear me say that. The waiters came out with our lunch and placed the food in front of us. 

"Shall we dig in?"

"Of course." I responded with a smile.