The Cavalry Arrives

I'm not sure if I should be talking to you guys before or after each section. Let me know what you prefer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been hours since they had dragged Zeek's body out of the basement. They would come for me. I knew they would. Garrett was far too angry to let me skate by without punishment. He'd rage out on Zeek and anyone else who pissed him off but once he remembered my involvement someone would come.

I wanted to pace, badly. My wolf was anxious and nervous; I could feel her roaming around in my head, tail swishing back and forth. I couldn't move around much in this god awful kennel but I strained to hear anything coming from above. The whole pack must be here.

Their heavy footstep sent dust falling from the ceiling. Growls and barks echoed down through the cement. I didn't know what was going on but I understood I'd been wrong. Zeek was trying to help me. He had told the truth and now thanks to me he was probably dead. Or worse.

The door to the basement flew open crashing into the wall with a loud bang. Heavy footsteps descended in a hurry. It was one of the lesser wolves. I didn't know his name but he would whine when I got close. He wasn't one of Garrett's favorites so he hadn't been allowed to touch me. A few brushes against my arm or legs were all he got.

He gestured for me to give him my arm through the bars so he could unlock the chain on my wrist. I stayed where I was. A warning growl came from where the stairs were. It was Aaron, I couldn't see him but I knew that growl and thrust my wrist out. The guy wasn't very old, early twenties I'd guess but he was gaunt and pale. Not treated well but much better than me. He held the key between two fingers and tried not to touch the silver. The link fell to the ground and I jerked my arm back.

The wolf did the same with the cage door. I fought the urge to rip the man's throat out but I was no match for Aaron. If I made a move that man would be on me in a flash. Aaron was huge, not as big as Garrett but he was linebacker huge and a ginger, maybe even Irish. He reminded me of a giant, brawny leprechaun in a sinister way. He was handsy, liked to grope me whenever he got the chance. He didn't enjoy hurting me as much as Bradley did but he wasn't gentle either. Where the others used fear and pain to control me Aaron used shame. Always covering my face when it was his turn, he liked me on my stomach so he wouldn't have to look into my eyes. I hated the others but he made me hate myself.

I stepped out into the open able to straighten my spine. I wouldn't show weakness, my knee was screaming but I walked towards the stairs without so much as a grimace. Don't act like prey, don't show weakness. Rule number three. Their wolves would see an easy meal if injuries were noticed. I named the other wolf Sophomore. He didn't have it in him to survive this place so learning his name was a waste of time. He stepped up to me, reaching out to slide a finger down my arm. I showed him my teeth and growled. He didn't stop until Aaron snapped his fingers at us to get a move on.

I walked past Sophomore with my head held high and down the aisles until I got to the one that led to the stairs. Aaron grabbed my arm above my elbow, claws digging into my skin and dragged me up the stairs. I couldn't get my feet under me fast enough and cracked my shin on one the steps.

Something was wrong. He wasn't being rough with me because he could, something had set him off. A sour smell oozed out of his pores. I couldn't tell but I thought it was fear. A smell I recognized from myself but it smelled wrong coming from Aaron.

There were men everywhere, over fifty at least. I didn't think much more than that. I couldn't see over their heads or around them enough to count. I'd never seen one member of Garrett's pack who wasn't a mammoth. Garrett was the Alpha so he towered above them all but Aaron and Bradley weren't far behind. Pack was an accurate term, as men stepped aside to let us through. So close to one another they were stepping on each other's feet trying to disappear into the numbers. Garrett was screaming, barking orders and fuming.