Comrades In Arms

Back on an updating schedule. Yay. Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and encouraging. You guys are the best.

Love
NJ Kuhr
XOXO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joseph answered the phone on the second ring. "Bash, what's the word?" He wasn't screaming this time; the collected native baritone was back.

"Garrett had his wolves' burglarize homes in order to finance the pack."

The silence on the other end was telling. Joseph was equally offended at the lack of decency. "I'll look into it. I don't trust Jackson to do a thorough job. How long had that been going on?"

Bash looked up at me and I shrugged. "Before they attacked Parker. Bradley was talented at evading security and he enjoys punishing the wealthy. I'd start with high value targets and socialites, any cold cases involving large amounts of cash and violence, nothing traceable. Aerabella's here if she needs to get involved with covering up the thefts; she has some connections in Arizona."

"Aerabella..? Is in Colorado?....... With Parker?" Joseph tone rose an octave. "That should be.... interesting." I rolled my lips to keep from grinning.

Bash gave me a quick smirk. "That's putting it mildly."

"How is Parker?"

There was no need to speak up. "I'm doing fine, Joseph. Thank you for asking."

His throaty laugh rumbled out of the speakers. "I'm not surprised. Laurel should check her scalpels though."

Bash couldn't hold it back as his shoulder shook. "Please, don't give her any ideas. Her mouth is sharp enough."

Eric was amused but G.I. Barbie only grew more unpleasant. Seemed all the strangers understood the reference. It hadn't been confirmed but I was about ninety percent certain they were all Eric's people and Aerabella had come alone.

A few of them were giving me odd looks, like they weren't sure if they should be impressed or building a room with padded walls. More details of what happened in Phoenix had clearly gotten around; more than I expected. It took me a second to remember that most of the personal details about myself was only learned after I moved to Colorado. What happened at the horse track was well-known. If they'd never met me I could understand people thinking I might be a little off. Zeek winked at me when I turned away from them blushing.

"I'll get back to you on the thefts and see what we can do about getting his targets back their money and valuables without alerting anyone to our involvement. We might have to let some of them be."

"Joseph?" I spoke up before Bash could hang up. "Will you do me a favor and check on the Mathews boy case. His father has been waiting for a long time without knowing what happened to his son. He'll never let go of that guilt but at least he can have some answers. I know you can't tell him about werewolves but he deserves something. No parent should have to live without their child and not know why."

Bash slid a hand down my cheek as Joseph answered sounding solemn. "Of course, I will take care of him. A father shouldn't outlive his children." Then Bash put his phone back in his pocket.

            There were a lot of very old wolves in that room. People who had watched their children grow into adults and not survive the Change. Living for hundreds of years meant lots and lots of funerals. Being there for births and seeing that same baby grow old and die would add weight to those years. A weight I saw in the faces of the people around me.

Boot Camp Barbie would probably never like me but it looked like I was making it harder for her to hate me.

Bash gave me a look that made no sense when everyone was looking so forlorn. "Someone has driven a long way to see you."