World come crashing down

Credit goes to owner.

You took a deep breath and got into the car. The car you’d helped Louis pick out. Where you used to feel at home, with his hand on your knee listening to “this great song I just found!” You settled your backpack between your feet and pulled the seatbelt across you. You kept your eyes down, focused on the run in your tights.

That’s where all your bad luck had begun. The run in your tights, that is. You had been running to catch the train for school when you walked too close to a bench and got caught on a nail. Your rough luck continued when you knocked over your friend’s coffee. You were cautious after the coffee incident because bad things came in threes, right? You went to catch the last train home when it had started to pour. The rain didn’t usually bother you, but your jacket did little to prevent the cold water from making you feel damp and cold all the way through. You just wanted to get home and crawl into your bed and pretend that this day had never happened. You heard the conductor’s voice come through the PA system. You couldn’t really understand what he was saying, but you heard something about a delay and then everyone started to leave the platform. You pulled your jacket tight and started out into the rain with everyone else. The walk would take about 25 minutes and then you’d be home. As you were walking down the street, a car drove past and splashed a huge puddle onto you and the people around you. 

You walked there without even thinking. It was half a block away and you were cold. You were nearly at the house when you saw his car pulling out of the garage. You froze, suddenly so unsure of why you’d thought it would be okay to come here. He shifted the car into drive and started the car towards you. He slowed when he saw you at the gate, probably wondering who was trying to get to his house. You cursed yourself and took a step towards the street. He rolled his window down. “And to what do I owe this honour?” He smiled at you.

“I’m not really sure how I ended up here, but it was closer than home and the train isn’t coming and I was cold and you’re busy, so I’ll just walk home.” You shrugged. 

“You’re mad if you think I’m letting you walk home in this.” He shook his head. You heard him unlock the doors. 

“No, Louis, I’ll be okay.” You shook your head. “It’s only like 10 blocks home. It’s not raining that hard.” 

He raised an eyebrow at you. “Get in the car.” He said, monotone. You opened your mouth to protest again, “I’m not letting you get sick out here. Get in. Seriously? 10 blocks in the rain?” His tone was firm. Your last bit of resolved slipped away when you felt an icy bead of water go down your spine. You walked to the passenger side and got in the car. You took in your surroundings. There was a coffee cup with lipstick in one of the cup holders and you felt like all the air was knocked out of your lungs. You looked away immediately. You fished through your backpack for you phone with shaking hands. You tried to play it off as cold. A simple starbucks cup shouldn’t illicit this response from you. You tried to focus on the text message from your friend about an assignment you were working on together, but out of the corner of your eye you could see the crimson colour on the lip of the stupid Solo lid. Solo, ironic, you thought to yourself. Louis wasn’t “solo” anymore. You were, though. 

Since the phone was proving to be a terrible distraction, you trained your eyes out the window. You catalogued all the landmarks between your houses. It had been 8 months since you’d been down these streets; you’d been avoiding them and the memories you had here. There was the blue and pink flower pot where Louis had picked a flower out of the pot to stick into your hair. A cheesy gesture then, but now it made your heart hurt because Louis was probably doing these same adorable things with this new red-lipsticking wearing girl. Did he hold her close on days like this, like he used to do with you? Was he on his way there now?