16 | The Wicked Truth

"Your mother did not run off with another man, nor did she die in a car crash. She was murdered." After Hayden's deceleration, we all went into the living room to meet Thea and Maria. Asher places me in his lap soon as he takes a seat and Hayden carries on talking. "And not by anyone either, by your father."

I gasp but dwell on the word 'father'. "Don't call him that," I say sharply, "He is no father of mine."

Hayden nods. "The moment Robbert saw her, he wanted her as his own, but Carly was already engaged. That was not a problem for your father however. He tracked down the poor man and killed him, leaving his body for your mother to find. Rob forced her to come with him and soon enough they were married and expecting you – Carly had no say in any of those things. Once you were born she planned to run away with you, but once Rob found the plane tickets to plane for two, an adult and a child, he became furious and killed your mother."

I hold my tears in, wanting to know the rest. Hayden sighs, "I'm sure he told you a lie about me and Maria as well." It isn't voiced like a question so I don't bother answering it. "Maria and Rob had gone on a couple of dates yes, but once she met me Maria apologised to Rob and explained to him she had found her mate. He didn't like it though and tried to force her into staying with him, even shooting her with an arrow to make her want him. But I managed to reverse it and I brought Maria here to keep her safe."

I feel no need to refers to Maria and Hayden to Mrs and Mr. Hell anymore. We seem to have gone through so much together that it seems stupid to call them by there second names. Maria stroked Hayden's hair lovingly while he gazed at her lovingly. I know at once that they are in love and that Rob had lied.

Hayden continues. "I don't know truly how far Rob had gone till I suspected him of being the person who hired Caleb to kill you, then I looked into the Rob more and found all the truth hidden behind your mothers death."

I nod. There is nothing else I can say or do.

"It's been a long day, I'll take Scarlett to bed." Asher stands up with me in his arms bridal style. He doesn't wait for anyone's approval or words of goodnight and walks to my bedroom.

I change into my pyjamas in the bathroom and walk out to find Asher sitting on the end of my bed.

I smile at him softly, lifting up the covers and taking a seat underneath. "Can I ask you a question?"

I muffle my giggle. "I feel like if o say no you're going to ask anyway..." He nods. "In that case, ask away."

"The shoes... who did you get them from? Who saved you?" Asher looks like he already knows the answer but is too afraid to voice his thoughts.

"Jack Frost." I say simply.

Asher nods solemnly. "I thought so."

"Is... is everything okay?"

"He didn't want to come here, did he?" He answers my question with another question.

"No, he didn't."

Asher sighs, running a hand through his white hair. "You ever wonder why I have white hair?" I nod, even though I always came to the conclusion that it was because he's a Gold Blooded. "My mum died to become a guardian, a Gold Blooded, but she did not die an ordinary human. Ever since she was young she had powers and could control, as well as manipulate snow and ice. She had two children, one who died drowning in a lake to save the other."

"Jack." I whisper. It made sense. Jack looked strangely familiar with his white hair and features.

Asher nods. "Yes. But Jack didn't die and instead came here, where Fate wanted him from the beginning. My mum rejoiced when she found Jack and they lived with each other for many years, never ageing. This happened at least two centuries ago. When my mum married my dad, Jack felt left out, like my mum was pushing him out of the picture. So when I was born, Jack was jealous. He didn't try to kill me or do something horrible, Jack was good– is good. So he left."

"That's horrible." I say. Jack didn't want to come here because he was afraid he would die – he was already dead for pete's sake – he was afraid of who he would find inside.

"I think about him a lot. I've always wanted an older brother and to think I have one who doesn't feel like he belongs with us makes me feel sick."

I rub Asher's back in a comforting manner. "It's not your fault."

"I know, I just wish I could do something about it."

I feel pity for both brothers as well as Maria. Jack felt unwanted and Asher felt self hate because he feels he wishes he could do something to change it. And Maria just wanted a new start with Asher, Hayden and Jack.

"Hey, can I sleep here with you tonight?"

Asher's question takes me by surprise and I don't know how to respond.

"I just don't like the idea of leaving you alone right now." It's then that I really look at Asher and notice how tiered he looks. He has bags under his eyes, as well as dark circles and his hair is even more messy than usual, like he's run his hands through it more times than he can count.

My eyes soften. "I think... that would be a good idea."

Asher smiles at me, but it looks sad for some reason and too tiered for me to say that this is my smile. The smile that I love.

I climb under the quilt and so does Asher. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him. Something tells me that Asher needs this more than me. I wrap my arms around his neck, responding immediately.

He looks at me with so much love and affection in his tiered eyes that I can't help but say the words that come out of my mouth next. "Do you already have my ring size or do you want me to write it down for you tomorrow?"

And the pure joy in Asher's face makes the next words that come out of my mouth even easier and make my eyes sting with unshed tears. The only difference is that this time they are happy tears. "Because I can't wait to be your wife."

------

MUAHHAHHAHA— okay I'll stop.

Q: what do you think of this book so far?

Yay, it turns out i have internet, not so sure for how long but I've got it for today.