Chapter 9 Tell Me

Shadow stopped with a sign of welcoming travellers to the Land of Rice. Kakashi stopped as well and asked her gruffly “What is it now?”

She didn’t bother to answer him and just ignored him entirely since they left the village. Then she turned her head forward and continued to walk. Kakashi groaned softly at the back of his throat and thought angrily as he followed her. *What am I going to do with this woman? This is the WORST mission I’ve ever encountered.*

Later that day, they took a small break in the forest to rest for the night. Kakashi dumped his bag on the ground gladly and flexed his shoulders as they felt sore from carrying a heavy bag since he left the apartment. He glanced at Shadow to see her back facing him but she was still as a statue and very silent; perfect as an assassin.

Shadow said to him flatly. “I’m going to hunt something for dinner. Just stay here until I return.” She was going to go but she was stopped when Kakashi asked.

“How will I know that you won’t run away?”

Shadow glanced at him over her shoulder with a small glare. But she couldn’t deny that she was thinking about it. She sighed softly in defeat then put her bag down on the ground. She asked him unpleasantly. “Are you happy now? I have my things here so I’ll have to come back.”

Kakashi hated that she was treating him like he’s a retard, a child. His hands turned into a tight fist while he gritted his teeth in anger and glaring at the back of her head as if he’ll make a hole through it. He roughly replied her. “Yes...”

Shadow saw his anger and rolled her eyes to the sky. Before Kakashi could ask her of why she had done that, she dashed into the forest and disappeared in the deep crowd of the tall thick trees. When she was gone, Kakashi let out a long heaving sigh then suddenly turned around and punched a tree behind him; imagining that it was Shadow. He had never hated a woman as much as he hated Shadow. She drove him insane in anger and frustration yet he barely knew her.

Kakashi dropped his head down as he closed his eyes to calm himself mentally so he wouldn’t beat the assassin to death when she returns. He could try but that will only end up badly for him. He heard rumours about her and her powers but he’s not really certain if they were true or exaggerating. Although, there was this one rumour that caught his interests. He had heard that she had defeated an army alone at a very young age; he can’t remember how old she was but it was impressive that she could have defeated an entire army all by herself. But these are rumours so there’s a possibility that it isn’t true. So, Kakashi will ask her – with a miracle that she’ll talk to him – when she returns. But could he talk to her? A woman he barely knew yet he hated her so much?

Probably.

Kakashi let out another heaving sigh. He turned around after pulling his fist from the tree and slide down to the ground with his back against the tree. When he landed on the ground, he glanced at the path that Shadow had taken off to. *I wonder what’s her past...*

Shadow was leaning against a tree while thinking about her companion. She couldn’t help it. She had no idea that she could hate him this much. And it’s rare for her to be so angry at someone. Especially at someone she barely knew besides his reputation as the Copy Cat Ninja.

She sighed heavily as she leaned her head against the tree. *What am I doing? Why can’t we get along for just one moment? Maybe I shouldn’t have been so hard on him...but he makes me feel so vulnerable whenever he’s near me. What the hell is that feeling whenever I’m around him?*

She heard a snap and she jerked her head towards the sound of it. She automatically pulled out three throwing blades and her katanna silently and swiftly from its sheath. She slowly walked towards the sound as a trained silent assassin. She took a quick look through the bushes and saw a doe eating some grass. She sighed softly as she hated to kill something so beautiful, but she needed something to eat for dinner.