Chapter 13 New Mission

Naruto stared at Shadow in disbelief, “You’re…what?” he asked; still surprised of the news.

Kakashi was smiling widely behind his mask and he repeated himself for Naruto, “You heard me. Shadow is going to stay and she’s going to help us as an assistant.”

He received an elbow being pushed against his ribs from Shadow. He groaned in pain and softly glared at her with his single eye.

“Was that really necessary?” he growled as he asked.

But Shadow just huffed while crossing her arms on her chest and looking away.

Suddenly Naruto appeared by her side and he started to plead her while tugging her arm. “Shadow, please teach us something cool! Come on! Come on! You got to know some cool jutsus!”

Shadow stared down at the blonde hair boy in surprise of his enthusiasm. But Kakashi cleared his throat to get the team’s attention. “I’m sorry to butt in but we have some D-rank missions to do.”

The Genin groaned deeply.

Naruto started to complain as they were on their way towards their first D-rank mission of the day: pulling out weeds from a garden of herbs.

“Come on, Kakashi-sensei! We’ve been doing D-rank missions for months! Let’s do something adventurous like the last time at the Land of Waves!”

Kakashi groaned softly at the back of his throat and he was going to say something to Naruto but Shadow beat him to it. “Now Naruto, I’m sure that Kakashi knows what he is doing so just follow him. You’ll get the chance, but just be patient. That’s one of the keys of being a great ninja.”

“Really?” asked Naruto.

She nodded, “Yep.”

Kakashi sent her a look of gratitude and she nodded in reply.

Although he wanted to do more than that, he nearly reached out to hold her hand but he knew that she would be furious with him if he had done so, especially in front of the Genin or anywhere in public.

He sighed softly in disappointment, *Damn it…*

Shadow watched the Genin as they pulled the weeds out of the small herb garden while Kakashi was right beside her and was reading the book. She watched Naruto trying to identify the difference between an herb and a weed. He groaned in annoyance and rubbed the side of his throbbing little head.

“Argh, this is nearly impossible! They look the same!”

Shadow sighed softly then turned her head to the female Genin, “Sakura!”

Sakura stopped to turn her head up to Shadow, “Yes?”

“Please help Naruto over there about the difference between herbs and weeds.”

Sakura sighed heavily with an annoying expression but muttered, “Yes Shadow-sensei…” then she walked towards the still confused Naruto.

Shadow glanced at Sasuke to see that he was doing fine and he was quiet as usual. She asked Kakashi without leaving her eyes off the boy, “Kakashi, what’s his story?”

Kakashi glanced at her over the book then followed her gaze to Sasuke. “His story is…quite complicated. You must have heard of the Uchiha clan years ago.”

“The clan that was slaughtered by Itachi Uchiha…”

“Yes. And Sasuke is the only survivor and is the brother of Itachi.”