Before Breaking Dawn

Coral woke up the next day and had forgotten about last night's dream. Her mother still looked angry that she had gone to meet Another Mother. Her father was sitting next to Toby watching TV.

It was Saturday and it was boring. Coral thought of asking his mother to stay at least there in front of the house, but the expression on Coraline's face was not the friendliest. Then she crawled up beside her father and went to watch TV too.

"You know you should not have gone to see the Other Mother, right?" Wybie asked absently without taking his eyes off the TV.

Coral rolled his eyes.

"At least it's very colorful there." It does not look anything like the boredom here.

Toby looked at her, his eyes glittering with interest.

- What's in there? - He asked, his voice curious.

- The grass is much greener and softer ...

- Enough! - Coraline said, appearing in front of the Television covering the view of all. "You're not going to talk about the other world around. Forget it was there. And if you say any more word about it. God help me Coral, I do not know what I'm going to do with you.

Coral was silent, Toby looked startled, even Wybie. They never saw Coraline so angry.

That Saturday was the longest and most tedious of all Coral's life, it took so long to pass that when it was over, Coral thought he was already 80 years old. It was already night and everyone had already gone to their beds. Coraline seemed pleased that Coral had not talked about the other world for the rest of the day and was now going to sleep more quietly. But she was wrong. Coral was very curious.

Coral took sneaky steps to the door of his parents' bedroom and heard the following conversation:

"I need to understand that ..." was the voice of his mother whispering. "How can he do that?" It showed the way for her!

"First, you have to calm down. Wybie spoke normally. "And second, you need to ask him."

- He promised to help us. If he turns to her side, everything will be lost. - Coraline's voice now looked rather worried.

"He's not as powerful as her, you know that. Wybie paused for a second and continued. "You know who's really strong." You know who can really defeat her.

- This will not happen. We do not have to defeat it. As long as the passages are well locked it can not hurt any children.

"But if she gets her heart and her eyes ..." Wybie paused.

We need to protect Coral. She can not go back there.

"The Other Mother is so furious, I can feel it from here. These walls seem to vibrate with her fury. It will never stop. She needs to be defeated once and for all. But for this to happen, you must allow it."

"I'm not going to risk their lives, especially when it comes to my child. My children. I have to protect them. I'm from Blood."

Coral suddenly remembered last night's dream. Was it real then? That dream really happened.

"It's fate, dear, especially after what happened to her son." Wybie said.

- That poor child. - Coraline sighed. - For centuries. This will never end.

"Do not worry, my love. Everything will work out. Let's go to sleep.

And then, everything was silent. Coral went back to the bedroom, was stunned by everything she had just heard. "That poor child," Coraline said. So was the other mother's story true? And your dream too? What really was the truth? Coral looked at the window, the sky outside was well lit by the moon. And Coral wanted answers, he was not sleepy at all. He wanted to know who this person was stronger than The Other Mother. Wybie seemed convinced that this person would be able to destroy the otherworldly monster once and for all, but Coraline was afraid of that. She needed answers and had until dawn to search for them.