Toby

Toby Jones Lovatt is a 6 year old boy. He was too small for his age, and rather skinny. Coral, Coraline, and Wybie held him easily in his arms, as if he were a 4-year-old boy. Toby did not talk much, but he loved playing with his father. It was his favorite thing in the whole world, secondly he liked to watch. He watched everything and everyone, it was a characteristic of him that nobody knew, at least, almost nobody knew. A small black cat that had been lurking around the house since they moved in also watched everything and of course, little Toby caught his eye. Especially because Toby reminded him of someone, a little boy he had known a long time ago.

Toby Jones Lovatt will always listen very carefully to the stories that his mother Coraline will tell you. What happened to her when she was a child. What happened when she found a door that opened into a perfect world where everything, people, things and even her parents were better. He also told the dangers. He told me that the monster that ruled that place tried to tear out his eyes and put buttons in place. He told of the ghosts of children who no longer existed. And most of all, she said that The Other Mother was still alive, just waiting for the right opportunity to strike. Toby was 4 years old when his mother told him that story and yet he was smart enough to be scared. He thought, "I hope I never know this place." But two years after that, they had to move to the terrible house. And just thinking was shaking, but he was not so scared, he was with his mother, his father, and his sister. Nothing bad would happen to him. He liked this world very much and did not want to go in search of a better one.

Coral was her older sister, and Toby admired her a lot, even though she never spoke to her, but she always wanted to have the guts she had. From the moment her mother tells her about the other world, she always said she wanted to see the door so much, while Toby did not want to come close. He admired her, because she looked like his mother, and Coraline faced the Other Mother, then thought, "Well, maybe Coral is capable too. I'm sure I'm safe with her here."

When they finally arrived at the house, he was amazed. It was a very old house, but it had its beauty. It looked like an old photograph, but its pink color made her happy. Casa Alegre, that's what he thought. And the first night he slept there, he had a rather strange dream.

He was standing in front of the new house and holding something shiny in his hand. It looked like a crystal. It was large and had a very sharp tip. In the dream a voice spoke again and again "You have to find it, you have to find it, it's the only way out." Toby woke up. He did not think about it, after all, he was just a child and did not care much about strange dreams.

During the day, Toby left the house to play in the front, saw when Coral went to explore, he thought that a bad idea, but he trusted in her and it did not worry much. And it was on that day that he met The Cat.

It was in front of his house, but there was no one in sight. Cat approached.

"You're my mother's cat, are not you?" - Toby asked, hoping to see a nod of the Cat, but instead was surprised when the Cat spoke clearly.

- Exactly. It was the male voice of someone who seemed to be very knowledgeable.

"How can I hear you?" Mom said she could only hear him in the Otherworld. Toby was confused.

The cat walked, rubbing his tail on Toby's arm, that made the little boy shiver.

"You're special, little Toby. The cat spoke mysteriously.

- As well?

"You have the blood you need." The cat stopped, seemed to be listening to something that little Toby could not hear. Then he ran and disappeared into the haze that began to surround him.

Toby did not understand, but he had a bad feeling. He resolved then to forget that it had happened. He continued to play, watched his mother watering the flowers in the garden, watched his father going to help. But Coral was not there, she would be the only person to whom he would say something like that, but he did not, because in the end he really forgot.