Part 24

Dimitri's

I waited anxiously at the altar, becoming more edgy as the time passed by. "Don't worry," Christian whispered to me, "She is just fashionably late." However, my mind couldn't shake the possibility of Abe convincing her to leave me. For good this time.

I bowed my head, feeling the guilt and resignation taking over me. It had been my dream to get married, not hers. I thought. However, she said yes. She contentedly planned the wedding, refusing Abe's idea of a wedding planner; and she had done an amazing job. The backyard had been transformed from training ground to a beautiful setting for a wedding.

In the middle, seated a rectangular platform. It usually hosted fights among our new recruits, however, today it was the perfect place for the wedding ceremony. It was covered with a white canopy, the material falling gracefully to the ground. It kept the reception area hidden, but it also gave shade to our Moroi guests.

There were six rows of five chairs to each side. In the front, where I stood along with my best men, Christian, Eddie, and Mark, was the altar. A traditional arch, intertwined with white roses. Although Rose had wanted all red, I had convinced her to add white.

I took in a deep breath before looking back up. As I looked at each and one of our guests -at least the ones I laid eyes on, I could see pity beginning to rise in them. My mother, she couldn't even look at me in the eyes, and I knew it was because tears were threating to spill. However, my grandmother gave me hope, she was smiling, and when we made eye contact, she mouthed, she'll be here.

Just then, the pianist began playing. A wave of relief washed over me. I looked towards the entrance of the canopy just in time to see Matty. He carried the rings gracefully, while managing to guide Lexi, our flower girl.

Then, followed Vasilisa, Mia, and Sydney, all looking pretty with red, short dresses.  

The moment the pianist began playing Here Comes the Bride, our guest raised in their seats, all turning their heads to the back. This was the moment I had been waiting my entire life for. Surely, five years ago, I couldn't have imagined it, well ever coming true. Especially not with a rebel, insubordinate student. Yet, that former student, was now the love of my life, and the mother of my child. My flesh and blood. She had given me more than I could ever wish for.

As I saw her walk towards me, looking beautiful in her white dress, her arm around her father's arm, a tear escaped my eye. I now understood how love could hurt. But in the best way possible. My heart was filled with love and joy, that it hurt.

She wiped it away the moment she could reach, and as she strokes my face, I let my head rest in her hand for a second, kissing it before composing myself.

"Dimitri," was all Abe said as he placed her hand in mine. But his eyes, his eyes said it all. I will not live another day if I ever hurt her. Again.

Rose and I shared one more look before turning our attention to the pastor that was carrying out the ceremony.

As he spoke, I couldn't help but reimagine all the things I have ever since she said yes. Ever since I found her again. We've never talked about it, but I want to try again for another child. We don't know the possibilities of happening again, and still, we have been careful. But I want to witness all the things I missed with Matty.

When it was time to say our vows, she spoke first.

"I, Rosemarie Hathaway," she smiled at me playfully, "vow to listen to your zen life lessons and occasionally take them. I vow to never keep score, even if I'm winning." She begun getting serious, "I vow to be by your side, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. I vow to always love you. I, take thee, Dimitri Belikov, to be my wedded husband."

Never breaking eye contact, she slid the wedding band on my finger. It was official. I was officially hers. Her husband.

Now, it was my turn, and as I looked at her in eyes, I spoke.

"I, Dimitri Belikov, vow to always love you, for you are my true and only counterpart. I vow to hold you and honor you. To respect you and encourage you. To cherish you in health and in sickness. Through sorrow and success. For all the days of my life. I vow to be your ally in conflict. Your toughest adversary. Your comrade in adventure. Your accomplice in mischief. This is my sacred vow to you, my equal in all things."

As her, I never broke eye contact as I slid the ring on her finger, joining the engagement ring. She was mine. My wife. Tears were rolling down her cheeks from my words, along with a smile on her face.

It didn't take us long to react when the pastor finally said, "You may kiss the bride."

Hello everyone!!!

I know! It's been like, forever. But I found it quite difficult to write this part of the story down, which I really hope you like it.  Share your thought with me on the comments, and don't forget to vote!

Q1: If things were to be different, who would you see Rose in a relationship with besides Dimitri? Christian, Eddie, Adrian, or a different character from the series?

Q2: Who would you see Dimitri with if it's not Rose? Tasha, Lissa, Mia, Sydney, or another character from the series?

*NOTE: The song above, Amazed by Lonestar, was part of the inspiration process for this chapter. In my mind, it is the song Dimitri would choose for their first dance.  What do you all think?