Part 28

The pounding in my head woke me up. It was hard opening my eyes, the light of the sun coming through the windows, was too bright to take.

I could feel the warmth of a body next to me. And although I tried to take a good glimpse of the person, the brightness of the sun only let me notice the hair. Dark brown.

As I attempted to bring myself to a sitting position, I realized that my body ached in multiple places. I tried to remember what had happen last before I passed out. But I couldn't. I could only remember pain and sadness.

I tried to get off the bed, shut the curtains so I could see better. But just taking the sheets off me was a challenge of its own. I tried kicking but my legs seemed unresponsive, almost as if I hadn't walked in weeks.

Giving up, I tried taking a better look at the person next to me. Shielding my eyes from the light and squinting a little bit, I recognized him. My comrade. Dimitri.

It was if his face was the key to a hidden treasure. Memories of the attack, glimpses of me fighting Strigoi while overtaken by the darkness flashed through my eyes. My hand automatically went to my throat. I was bleeding out before I passed out. What happened?

Dimitri stirred in his sleep, and upon realizing I was awake, he quickly stood up, "Roza!"

He came to my side, kneeling by my side and hugging me tightly. "Oh Roza."

We remained silent for a while, just hugging each other, letting the warmth of his skin welcome me back to reality. After a few minutes of it, I asked, "What happened?"

Dimitri kissed me softly, as if I were to break, before he sat up straight, ready to tell me what I had missed.

**

"Abe, Lissa and I, had just put up the wards again. Our friends were helping each other out; those who had minor wounds were taking those with bigger ones to Adrian and Oksana. I was ready to head out, and look for you. But Christian walked in, with you..." He stopped. A single tear eascaped as he closed his eyes, trying to keep himself together.

"He had carried you from where ever you had been. I took you from his arms, and you looked so close to death. I could almost see it, reaching for you. But Vasilisa worked her magic. Your wound was so deep, that even all her magic was not enough. She passed out before you were completely healed. But it was enough for us to get a doctor here, and transfer blood into your system. It took her a couple of days to recover. All of them. Adrian and Oksana too. But you, you've been in this bed for a couple of weeks."

A couple of weeks!

After a moment of silence, I realized that he was done telling the story. But he didn't cover the hardest part of all. How many of our friends had died?

I managed to put that dreadful question in my thought into words. "Dimitri, how many...?" But I couldn't finish the sentence. If the question was that hard to finish, the answer will be even more painful to hear.

And more painful for Dimitri to say. "We lost five novice. Two Dhampirs were taken, could've been killed, or turned. And..." He stopped, his eyes watering, making years escape mine. Who? Who of our closest friends had fallen. "Karolina."

Karolina, his sister. Mother of two beautiful kids. Gone. She left the Moroi world, to stop fighting the evil creature. And we brought them here. We, I'm responsible. I let my guard down and I was taken. No, I let my guard down and let Dimitri convince me to come here. I am so stupid! I...

"Rose!" Dimitri was shouting my name, as he shook my shoulders.

The darkness. I feel it. I see it. All rushing out of Lissa, coming straight for me.

"The darkness..." I manged to say, before my head begins to ache, almost as if it was going to explode. I scream, or at least I think I do. Darkness, surrounding me, suffocating me.

Drowning in darkness, I pass out.

I know! It's been forever! I am so sorry, but for those who still read my story, I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think in the comments, and don't forget to vote!

Merry Christmas in advance my fellow VA fanatics! Tell me, what do you guys do to celebrate? If you do. I live in a border town in Texas with Mexico. Celebrations are a mixture of México and U.S. traditions. And I love it. And I would love to add other traditions to how I celebrate. Share with me.
Lots of Love, BookLoverGirl94.