Prologue✓

(This chapter is inspired by @I_Hate_Society )

Lucas's POV

I wake up to the blaring of my alarm. My back and neck are stiff from sleeping leaned over my desk. My head rises from the desk slowly and drowsily.

I get out of the chair and turn off my alarm clock, grabbing a random pair of jeans and a hoodie. I slip on my clothes and grab my backpack, slipping my phone inside.

First day of grade ten, at a new school, may I add. I don't know how I feel about it, I've always liked those books or movies about a new kid coming in, and they're all shy and awkward, but they find someone to care about and to care about them.

My mom tells me I watch too much television, and maybe she's right, being that all my dreams or fantasys come from situations on television.

I walk into the kitchen and grab an apple, taking a large bite. My mom must be gone to work already.

I check the time, seeing it's 8:40, twenty minutes before class starts. I grab my guitar case and leave the house, locking the door behind me, and walk to the school. It's good that our house is so close to the school, I'd hate to take the bus and have to sit alone while everyone else talks about the weird new kid.

If I could bring my guitar everywhere, I would, but just to school everyday will do. It's the only thing that always stays the same.

This isn't our first move. We've moved all around for my moms work. She gets passed back and forth through different branches of the company she works for. I'm not exactly keen on what she does for a living, but I know it's very time consuming. I don't blame her, though, when she comes home, so exhausted she can barely speak, and goes straight to her office to continue working and I have to either make food or order in. We even have a fun tradition for the end of the week: every Sunday she repays me for all the days she was gone that week. Sometimes we'll go into the city of wherever we're living and watch a movie or something, but my favourite times are when we stay home and talk or binge watch some of our favourite shows, filling each other in on everything that happened that week.

I love my mom, and she's been working really hard to be all I need in life, but sometimes it's hard not having a father figure to look up to, someone to model myself after. My dad left us around the time I was born. I was born when my mom was only seventeen, and my dad wouldn't stay and help take care of me. My grandparents treated us well. They let me and my mom mooch off of them until my mom got a proper job and could move out.

I have nothing to complain about in my life. Though I have no father, and a mother who's out all the time and usually too tired to mutter a 'hello', and am constantly moving around, never settling in anywhere, I wouldn't change my life. I could never ask for anything more, especially when others have it far worse than me.

I won't cry over being alone, because I will eventually be with my mother again, at the end of the week. Some people never get the chance to be with someone who loves them so dearly.

Lost in thought, I didn't realize I was at the school until I bumped into someone.

"Watch out!" They barked as they pushed passed me. I simply nodded, muttering a quiet apology. I really should watch where I'm going...

I checked my phone, seeing I still have fifteen minutes before class. I sit on a bench outside, taking out my guitar and playing one of my favourite songs, "Can't help falling in love" by Elvis Presley. I hummed the lyrics, not wanting to sing them out loud as people showed up and walked into class. I focused on the music as people passed by, muttering about me. I guess it's weird for me to randomly be playing outside of school... go figure.

Then, suddenly, I hear a quiet singing within the group. I look up, not stopping playing to see a boy singing along to my playing. The boy has cropped black hair, hidden under a red hat. He has dark jeans and a blue hoodie with red trimmings on the hood, sleeves and zipper.

He gives me a smile when he notices I'm watching him and motions for me to sing along as well. He starts from the start of the song once again, singing a little louder and attracting a lot of attention. Despite my fears and horrid singing voice I actually join in with the mysterious boy.

"Wise men say
Only fools rush in,
But I can't help
Falling in love with you," The boy moves over to sit beside me on the bench, smiling widely as he watches me strum the guitar.

"Shall I stay,
Would it be a sin,
If i can't help falling in love with you,

Like a river flows
Surely to the sea,
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be,

Take my hand,
Take my whole life too,
If I can't help falling in love with you,
I can't help falling in love with you." The boy chuckles as I draw the last chord out on the guitar dramatically.

"Hi," he says softly.

"Hello."

Best Friends [UNEDITED]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara