Chapter 12

This song fits the chapter perfectly. Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. Don't forget to vote, share and comment.

Heading into the office the next morning, I pray that Damien isn't in yet. I did not want to hear an apology because deep down, I knew he was right. I may not be a selfish person now but that doesn't matter because I was once upon a time. And no amount of selflessness could ever make up for the consequences of my actions. His words last night reminded me of a past I was trying to forget, not that I can anyway, the voices in my head being proof of that. Sitting down at my desk, I grab the file that I'm gonna need for my meeting in 10 minutes. Margaret, my secretary walks in and briefs me about my day and all my appointments while I sip my coffee and make a mental to-do list. As she leaves, I glance at the clock and realise that I need to head to the conference room right now or I'm gonna be late. Grabbing my stuff, I walk out, just realising that Damien would also be at the meeting as we were handling this account together. Cursing under my breath, I walk into the room glad that the only people there are the other employees working on this account too.I'm chatting with one of the staff whose wife had just given birth when I hear his voice.

"good morning, everyone." Not turning around, I ignore the replies and keep chatting, hoping that he would leave me alone. But nope, luck was just not on my side.

"Excuse me, sorry for interrupting but could I have a minute, Alex?"

Closing my eyes briefly, I mutter an apology and turn around, pasting a smile on my face. Damien seems taken aback by my cheerful expression and he has every right to be. Judging by how things ended last night, he was probably expecting a glare and a scowl. 

"Hi. What's up?"

He stares at me a little weirdly before saying in a low voice that no one else could hear,"I'm sorry about last night. I shouldn't have called you selfish. You are anything but that and I was such a jerk. Instead of berating you, I should have iced your shoulder and taken you to Dr Baker and I'm.."

I cut him off gently,"Damien, it's okay. I."

"No, it's not okay. I insulted you and.."

"No, look, you were right. I should have not pushed myself so hard and hurt my shoulder even more. I know how worried Jay and Casey and everyone else was and I was not thinking about how this would only affect them even more. You had every right to be angry and- and worried and concerned. So, if anyone has to apologise, it's me. I'm really sorry."

Damien stares at me like I've lost my mind because I wasn't yelling at him or giving him the silent treatment. But, he was right and I did not want this to drag on any longer. 

"No Angel, I'm not letting you take the fall for.."

"Alexandra Winters, is that  you?" A voice sounds from behind. Both Damien and I turn our attention to the man standing at the door and my eyes widen in surprise while Damien mutters a curse under his breath.

"Marcus O'Neal. Oh my god, how are you?" I walk towards the tall man and give him a hug. 

"How are you? Gosh, you look even prettier in person and trust me, your cover on Vogue was amazing." Rolling my eyes at him, I lean back,

"Charming as always. I didn't know you were working at Brandt Enterprises."

" I'm actually working for them. I'm their lawyer. Took over dad's firm."

"I did hear something about him retiring. How is he?"

"He's fine. Enjoying his retirement days while I'm slaving away at the office."

"Tell me about it. I spend more time at the office than I do at home."

Marcus opens his mouth to say something when a throat clears behind us. Damien steps forward, lifting his hand out to Marcus and that's when I notice Marcus still has his arms around me. I quickly step out of his hold, embarrassed that I forgot we were in the presence of staff.