Chapter 25

It's my birthday today but I'm in Australia for work. Most people might be sad but I'm fine, considering I never actually celebrate my birthday. When most people were busy celebrating their freedom, getting drunk, on their 21st birthday, I spent mine in meetings and getting Le Allegria set up. I know it sounds sad but ever since I was a kid, I never fancied birthday parties and all the shebang that came with it. I didn't even expect presents although my parents would not hear of that. Everyone had already wished me, Damien saying that we had a dinner date planned. I insisted on not having any presents and much to my surprise, everyone agreed. Weird. Anyway, my birthday dinner with Damien was gonna have to wait since I was going to be here for almost a week and the day I was flying back was the day Damien was leaving to Washington for almost a week. Damien and mine birthdays were exactly a week apart which also meant we would not be able to spend them with our families. 

Anyways, I had just gotten back from Australia last night and was back in the office this morning. I was tired, especially since my sleep was plagued with nightmares the past week and my busy schedule was no help. I'm in the midst of looking over some documents when Belle texts me, asking me if she could come over. I reply her an Okay and half an hour later, she appears in my office, looking extremely excited. I raise an eyebrow at her,

"Why are you so happy?"

"Why do you look so tired?"

"I got back late last night. Answer my question."

"We're throwing Damien a surprise birthday party!" She practically yells out and I roll my eyes at her, looking back at the file in front of me.

"Good luck keeping it a secret from your brother."

It was true. Damien had a knack of figuring out surprises and it didn't help that our mums and Belle were terrible at keeping these sort of secrets.

"Oh, trust me, he's not gonna see this coming."

I remain a little skeptical but decide to humor her. Plus, I would pay to see Damien really caught off guard.

"Okay, how can I help?"

She sits down, taking out her iPad, completely in business mode.

"I know you hate organising and you're super busy this week, so our mums and I will handle the major planning, like dealing with the caterers etc. I need you to bring him there on that day and of course, rein me in cuz I know my brother hates lavish extravagant parties which is exactly what will happen if you don't make the executive decision."

"I can't make the final decisions, you guys should."

"You know him the best, Al. Think of it more like approving or rejecting ideas."

I nod slowly,"Okay. so what have you got so far?"

"Well, it's gonna be a small party with just us family and a few close friends. I was thinking we could make it more of a semi casual cocktail party, starting in the late evening and carrying on into the night, with dinner.Oh, it's gonna be this Saturday, just so you know."

"That fast?"

"We'll make it happen."

I had no doubt about that. These three women were formidable when it came to throwing parties.

"So, what do you think?"

"He's gonna hate it."

"What?"

"Sorry but Belle, we attend a lot of these parties all the time. I am bored of cocktail parties and I'm sure he is too. How about a pool party instead? Since it's just family and close friends, we could have a barbecue going."