Chapter 37

Damien's POV.....a little treat for you guys.

2. I never was one to believe in numerology but right now, I was convinced 2 is a very unlucky number. Why? 2 is the number of times Alex's heart stopped in surgery. 2 is also the number of weeks she"s been in a coma post surgery. I stare at the beautiful angel lying before me. She has bruises on her face thanks to that asshole Oliver in London but even then, she looks ethereal. I can tell her week in London took a toll on her physically and mentally. Physically, she has lost weight, her face gaunt and pale. There are bags under her eyes and her lips are chapped. I saw the mental effect when she came home that night. Her eyes were blank, cold. She had reverted back to her old self but this time, she was colder than ever. I hated myself knowing that I was the reason she was like that. I never slept with Dana, she literally bribed her way into my home and surprised me when I came out of the shower. I threw her out instantly and warned her not to show her face or there would be hell to pay.
I was thinking how to tell Alex but Dana already did more damage. I tried tracking her down when Jay told me she left but that girl was good. I never expected her to go on a mission and of all things to take down Oliver.
Truth be told, I was angry with her for going on this mission alone and being so flippant about it. But deep down I understood why she did it. She always was putting others before her, something I admire. Despite all the hands shes been dealt in life, she always bounced back stronger than ever, like a pheonix rising from the ashes. My phoenix.
Leaning my forehead against her pale hand, I prayed that she would wake up soon. The doctor said that her body and mind had gone through a lot of trauma and she would only wake when she was ready. I couldnt even imagine what happened in London. Thank god Oliver was dead or else I would be killing him soon. I was a mess when she disappeared without a trace but now, I was worse than a mess. I had her in my arms, finally tasted those sweet lips of hers only to have her snatched away from me. I longed to hear her voice again, those peals of laughter and to just feel her warmth. Seeing her lie so lifeless on this hospital bed was torture.
I have not left her side since shes been here. Everyone had a tough time prying me from her side to take a shower. Finally Jay managed to persuade me to go saying that Alex would not want to wake up looking at a caveman covered in her blood. So now the only time I left was to shower. I would even eat whatever little I could stomach beside her. When everyone else came to visit, I would give them their privacy by leaving the room but even then, I was outside in the hallways. The nurses and doctor would shoot me pitiful glances and told me to hang in there. Our dads had taken over the company for a while since I was in no position to work. I would just spend my days talking to her, massaging her arms and legs to keep the blood circulating and playing her favorite songs. The doctor would come in daily and leave saying the same thing.
"Her injuries are healing well. All we can do now is pray that she wakes up soon. Hang in there, Mr Black."
Yeah I was barely hanging in there. Many times I longed to drown my sorrows in alcohol but I would remember her words from that night. I knew she would be disappointed in me. So I would think about all the good times we shared, the carnival, Hamptons. I would remember her smile, her laugh, the way she would curl up in my arms as we slept on the couch fitting perfectly like the last piece of my puzzle.
I am not ashamed to say that I cried many times these past 2 weeks. I don't think I even cried when I found out about Annabelle.
Placing a kiss on her forehead, I smile at her whispering
"Please wake up soon my angel."