Chapter 13

IAlex's dinner outfit above.

I watch my dad walk out, shutting the door behind him. As soon as the door shuts, I slump back in my chair, burying my head in my hands. Memories of him flash through my mind and I try not to cry knowing that if I started, I would not stop. You don't deserve to cry, not after what you did. I walk to my en suite and lightly splash cold water on my face. Grabbing a hand towel, I pat my face dry and stare at my expression in the mirror. My eyes are slightly rimmed red but otherwise, I look normal. Well, as normal as one could look with lifeless eyes and dark circles. Reapplying my concealer, I take a deep breath and walk back out to my office. Time to get back to work.

Damien and I are practically back to square one after that afternoon. He's avoiding me and when we have to work together, he barely says a word. But, I'm honestly too stressed out to care. If it weren't for Jay, Belle and Marc keeping me grounded,I would have landed up in an mental asylum long ago. I was opening a BW Hotel in Dubai and for some reason, it was more stressful than normal. I had come up with a new concept for this hotel, challenging to make it one of the most unique hotels in the world. And, it was a challenge all right. Just like my other hotels, I did not hire an interior designer which meant that i had to personally work with my architects and engineers. My designs were well..unique and it required a serious amount of brain juicing just to try and figure out how to make it work. I had to travel quite frequently to Dubai too to oversee construction. Thankfully, I had managed to steal one of the finest hotel managers in the world to work for me and he was a lifesaver. I swear Mike was the best of the best. My phone rings, causing me to look up from my design. Smiling at the name on the screen, I swipe to answer it.

"Hey, Marc."

"Hey, Alleycat. Whatcha doing?"

I sigh, looking back down at the design on my desk.

"Working on the design for my hotel in Dubai."

"Ah, I've heard about how it's completely different. When's it opening?"

"In 2 weeks. You have to be there for the opening."

"I promise. Just let me know the date."

"I will. I'll send you your reservation number as well.On the house."

"Alleycat, no way. I'm paying.."

"Tsk tsk. Do not degrade our friendship like that, Marc. i insist."

"You're not gonna budge, are you?"

Grinning, I say"Nope."

He chuckles into the phone.

"Well, okay then. Anyway, I wanted to know if we were still on for dinner tomorrow night."

"Yeah, of course."

"Great, I'll pick you up at 7."

Marc and I have been hanging out for the past few months and whenever our schedules would allow it, we would try to grab a meal together. Now, don't jump to conclusions. I love Marc but in a brotherly way and he felt the same way. In fact, I did not want to lead him on and the 3rd time we went out for dinner, I decided to clear the air especially since the press were saying we were dating.

"Hey Marc. I need to talk to you about something." I tell him when he drops me home.

He furrows his eyebrows,"Uh oh, that does not sound good."

"It depends."

"Go on. What's up."

"Look, I'm not jumping to conclusions here but I don't wanna lead you on either." A look of understanding dawns upon his face and he smiles, easing some of my tension.