Chapter 36

Please play this song while reading this chapter.

My heart literally stops when I see the scene in front of me. My dad, mum, jack, Kaley, belle, Jay and James are slumped against the wall, hands and legs bound. But that wasn't what scares me the most. It's the sight of a manic looking Casey pointing a gun in a very pissed off Damien's direction that freezes me in my spot.

"Alex, glad you could join us. We've been waiting for you." Casey looks at me, a devious smirk on his face.

"Put the gun down, Casey." I say maintaining a cold facade and icy voice. I could not show him my fear.

"Is that any way to talk to the person who is holding your boyfriend's life in his hands? " he says with a tsk sound.

I take a few small steps forward till I'm beside Damien. If I wanted to, I could reach my hand out and grab his. That's how close we are yet I've never felt further from him before.

"Guns please." he motions to my jacket and I reluctantly slide my guns towards him.

"come on, alex. knife?"

I sigh, hating that he knows me well. Sliding over my pocketknife in his direction, he nods, smiling.

"Why are you doing this, Case? All we've ever done is treat you like family."

He glares at me, eyes wide with anger.

"Family? I don't want you idiots to treat me like family. I just wanted you to give me what I deserved."

"You don't deserve shit, you asshole." Damien hisses beside me and Casey clenches his jaw.

"I deserve to be head of the agency, not you." He turns to Damien, eyes full of anger.

"You spent your days partying and sleeping with everything that moves but you get the agency, you get the empire, you get everything."

"And you,' he turns to me.

"You remain a recluse for 8 years and when you come home, bam! You get the agency, you get the empire, you get EVERYTHING and I get NOTHING!"

"You have everything you could ever ask for. What more do you want?" I say angrily

"What do I have, huh? Being third in command when I should be first? Hell, even my company can never beat yours and I put years of hard work into it where as you guys, you got everything handed to you on a silver platter!"

"You think we didn't work hard to get to where we are today? Yeah, so we inherited an empire but it's not easy running it. It sure as hell isn't easy proving to everyone that you have what it takes to make it thrive!"Damien says stonily.

Casey nods slowly,"As much as I hate to admit, you're right Damien. I can't deny that you guys are good at what you do so I decided to take out the threat. "

My mind connects the dots at his words and I hold in a gasp.

"You tried to get Damien killed."

He smiles,"Smart girl. Yes, I worked with Justin but sadly, things didn't go quite as planned. Instead of dying, you escaped and Alex over here spotted a slip up in the plan, thanks to that idiot. So, I had to get rid of him before he blabbered."

"you strangled Justin and then you wiped the security footage." Damien adds.

He claps his hands giddily like some psychotic maniac.

"Ooh, the two of you make such a good team."

I stare at him sadly.

"I thought we were friends Case. Hell, all I've ever done was treat you like a brother."