Chapter 35

"I made the same mistake with your mother once."

I stiffen at the familiar voice behind me. Taking a deep breath and keeping my face blank, I turn to face my father.

"She told me."

He nods, moving forward to lean against the railing beside me.

"I thought I was protecting her and myself. Turns out, I was just hurting the both of us."

I shrug,"That was different Dad."

"How is it different?"

"You broke up with her because you thought she would leave you once she found out about the agency. Plus, you had abandonment issues thanks to grandma."

Dad smiles,"She told you about that?"

"Yeah, I know she's your mum but she's a bitch. No offense."

Dad laughs, shaking his head."None taken. You're right though. I did break up with your mum because I loved her and I was afraid she was gonna leave me in the end, just like everyone else. Biggest mistake of my life."

"Yeah, well I'm leaving Damien so that he does not make the biggest mistake of his life."

"Which is what? Loving you?"

"Exactly. It's not worth what it cost."

"You know, you and I aren't all that different sweetheart."

I cock an eyebrow at him curiously.

"What do you mean?"

"I left your mum once out of fear. You're doing the exact same thing with Damien."

"I'm not leaving him out of fear, dad. I'm leaving him because that's the right thing to do."

"So, you did not say yes to Uncle Sam's offer of staying here because you're afraid of a replay of London?"

I stiffen, not looking him in the eye.

"He told you about that?"

"He wanted me to make you change your mind. I told him, we Winters are stubborn."

I chuckle softly,"It's too dangerous for all of you."

"We can take care of ourselves.He can take care of himself."

"Doesn't make it right though. I got us into this mess, I'm getting us out of it."

"Even if it means losing the love of your life?" Dad asks quietly.

Shooting him a sad smile, I raise a shoulder.

"I'd rather I lose him than all of us lose him."

"That's why you said all that crap back there?"

"I had no choice. He needs to hate me in order to move on."

Dad scoffs,"You think he will move on?"

"You did not see that look in his eyes, dad. Damien Black hates me. As much as it pains me to do that to him, it was necessary."

"I'm trying not to understand your logic but it does kinda make sense to me, kiddo. I just wish, you didn't have to get hurt in the process."

"I'll be fine dad."

He brings me into a side hug,"I know. Your mother and I are extremely proud of you. We couldn't have asked for a better daughter."

Blinking back tears, I hug him back.

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too baby girl. Always have, always will."