- Chapter 13 -

The new school year had begun

The new school year had begun. A couple of weeks had gone by since her school reopened and Khaleesah was trying to concentrate and absorb the studies which was a bit advanced than it had been in Grade 9. It was all quite easy for her except Maths, which needed her complete concentration.

Somehow, that was one of the things lacking in her. She simply couldn't concentrate. She was trying to focus her attention on the whiteboard in front of her and what her teacher was explaining but every little thing kept distracting her.

"I don't know what has happened to me. Nothing is going into my head!!" She exclaimed softly to Zainab who was sitting next to her.

Zainab gave her a knowing smile before she resumed doing her work. Khaleesah had told her all about the proposal and all that had happened in the holidays. She felt a tinge of sympathy towards her friend, getting engaged at fifteen didn't seem right to her. She could hear Khaleesah sighing again and again.

Zainab paused her work for a few minutes as she helped Khaleesah with the sum she was stuck in.

"Jazaakallahukhaira. I think I get it a bit now." Khaleesah said with a weary, grateful smile.

"What is it, Khaleesah? Didn't you understand something, dear?"

Only then did she notice her Maths teacher who had been walking around the class, checking the progress of the students and checking their books. Hajar-the Maths teacher, was an easy going woman in her early twenties and she was quite fond of Khaleesah. It hadn't skipped her notice that the girl had been struggling to grasp certain easy formulas and aspects which she had been teaching the past few weeks.

"In the last term, Khaleesah was the opposite of what she is now." She had told Khaleesah's new class teacher, Shahada. "She was one of the students who would easily understand the lesson. She is very bright and observant. I can't understand what's happened to her." She had finished with a sigh, her forehead wrinkled with a frown.

"I'll see into her, Hajar." Shahada assured. "In shaa Allah, I hope she'll be back to how she was soon."

"In shaa Allah." Hajar had uttered softly.

"I don't know why, Muallima. This lesson isn't going into my head. I just can't concentrate!" She told her teacher putting her head on her hands.

Hajar looked at Khaleesah curiously. "What is it that's not letting you concentrate, dear? Did anything happen in the holidays?"

Khaleesah's head shot up, she studied her teacher's face for a while before she looked down at her book again with a relieved sigh.

Her teacher didn't know anything. She had only asked a normal question.

"I don't know, Muallima." She replied keeping her head lowered.

Khaleesah was growing worried about what was happening to her. She fairly had an idea that it was because of Yaasir that she was having difficulty in concentrating on her studies. It wasn't his fault at all, but hers. She shouldn't let this bond with him meddle with her studies.

Another thing which saddened her was that she had come Fourth in class; something which hadn't happened as long as she could remember. She knew she had studied hard for her exams and she knew the proposal wasn't the reason for it.

But many people thought otherwise, which annoyed her to a great extent. She kept explaining to them that she had only got to know about the proposal after her exams and that there was no connection between the two. But certain people kept telling what they thought was right.

Her maternal grandmother wasn't pleased at the fact that Khaleesah was engaged at such a young age. She feared she would fall behind in her studies and that was what actually happened.

Sadly, Khaleesah found it quite difficult to come First or Second in class ever after that.

That evening Khaleesah sent Yaasir a message telling him about how she was finding it hard to concentrate on her studies, especially Maths. Yaasir was very understanding and he was willing to teach her anything she didn't understand in Maths, since it was his favourite subject.

▪ ◽ ▪ ◽ ▪ ◽ ▪ ◽ ▪

A/N - Assalaamu Alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakaathuhu! Alhamdulillah I'm back! It's useless apologizing cuz I always keep disappearing and abandoning my precious book... but anyways I'm extremely sorry!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter...do leave your thoughts in the comments! And don't forget to vote..😉

Loads of Love & Du'aas,
Saa Naleem ❤