- Chapter 14 -

Days turned to weeks and weeks into months

Days turned to weeks and weeks into months. Khaleesah and Yaasir were much closer than they were. They would text each other every morning before they left for school or work. Khaleesah now used her mother's spare phone to text Yaasir. Both of them would long to see each other, since they had only seen the other through pictures.

No photograph would ever be equal to seeing the one you love in real.

Once when they had just started chatting with each other, Yaasir had called her through Skype and they had hardly looked at each other for a minute before he cancelled the call.

Both of them had been too overwhelmed and nervous to utter even a single word. They had just wanted to have a glimpse of each other and that was all.

They had started texting since it had become too much of a hassle to chat on the PC. Since it wasn't portable and Khaleesah had to switch on her PC and log into her account everytime she wanted to send him a message.

Texting was simpler and she could text him whenever she wanted and he would always reply.

The phone she used wasn't a smartphone, it was one of those old models which only had the basic options in it; it didn't even have a camera.

Actually, these phones didn't cause that much fitnah like smartphones do today. Smartphones tend to take people away from the remembrance of Allah. People also get addicted to their phones quickly and are also very dependant on them. Even though we should be the ones to control the phone; we are being controlled by it. Alhamdulillah, there are many advantages we get through these phones too. But definitely if we do not have the fear of Allah in our hearts, we would misuse it. We should make sure we are in control.

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫

As it happens, a few months after they had started texting each other, Khaleesah yearned to hear Yaasir's voice.

Khali: I want to hear your voice, ma.

Yaasir: How?

Khali: Shall I call you?

Yaasir: OK ma.

Khali: I'll only say salaams... OK?

Yaasir: OK ma.. 😊

With shaky hands Khaleesah dialled his number and disconnected the call almost immediately. Her confidence wavered. She was extremely nervous, her heart beating at a fast pace.

A few minutes later, after her heart beats had gone back to normal; she dialled his number again.

This time she'd didn't disconnect the call. Her heart fluttering she held onto the phone with shaky hands.

Yaasir was impatiently waiting for Khaleesah's call. His attention kept going to his phone every five seconds or so. He would have called her himself if he had known she was going to take this long. He felt as if half an hour had gone by when actually only five minutes had passed.