Chapter 3

Grace

I yawn covering my mouth with my hand. My stomach growls loudly even though I already had a granola bar. I'm impatient as I check my watch yet again. I knew it was too good to be true. Sarah never gets here on time.

I lean back against the couch, making sure my hood doesn't slip off my head. I exhale slowly. Sarah is thirty minutes late. Seven o'clock my ass. We're going to her lake house for the weekend along with Shane who she should be picking up right now and should be on her way. I look at the stairs and try to count how many steps it would take to get back to my room. Oh how I would kill to go back to my bed. I'm jealous that my parents are sleeping right now. I could be enjoying my sleep too but no.

Maybe if I close my eyes just for a second ill feel less tired. I get comfortable on the couch fluffing up the pillows and lay my head down. My eyes start to close. Then the doorbell rings.

I snap my eyes open and I slowly come to a sitting position. I was almost asleep. Annoyed, I carry my bag to the front door.

Shane smiles down at me. "Morning Gracie. Coffee?" He holds out a Starbucks cup. His morning voice, makes my insides go crazy.

"My savior!" I close the door behind me and now less annoyed take the cup from his hand. "Thanks"

He steals my bag and sticks it in the trunk. Sarah shoots me an apologetic smile as I situate myself in the back seat.

"Don't kill me!" She says as she drives towards our destination. "Listen, Shane over here-"

"-I woke up late" Shane cuts in, a little too fast. "And Sarah helped me finish packing"

"You doofus. You should have packed all your stuff yesterday." My annoyance disappears as we look at each other. His bright blue eyes are so pretty I can't help but sometimes get lost in them.

"I had other stuff to do. Something more important." His gaze lingers longer than usual before he turns back around to stare out the window.

A light shiver goes up my spine. He's hiding something from me. I just know it.

Forty five minutes later, we're pulling up to Sarah's lakehoise. It's a two story house with a balcony on each window upstairs. It's brown brick with different varieties of plants and flowers littering her front porch.

I quickly get out of the car, dragging my bag behind me. Sarah beats me to the door, both of us leaving Shane behind.

Sarah and I drop our bags on the floor as soon as we enter the living room. Sliding glass doors take up one side of the wall. Rays of sun shoot through and although they're bright, the lake can still be seen.

I jump on the couch not wasting a single minute. I lie down and rest my arm across my eyes I'm so tired I could just fall asleep right now.

"Don't even think about it"

I move my arm to see both Shane and Sarah looking down at me. Sarah grabs my arms hauling me to my feet. Shane moves in to ruffle my hair but I push him away.

He giving me a knowing look. "You're not going to sleep Gracie. Now go get your swimsuit on. I want to see your smoking hot body."