Chapter 17

Grace

I open my eyes, slowly sitting up. I squint at Sarah who's still silently sleeping by my side. I rub my eyes making my way to the restroom. I take a quick shower and just put my clothes on from the night before and deciding to just go commando.

My head hurts as I remember the events from last night. I should just have talked to him, but god I'm such an idiot. I let my pain take over my body and mind and I didn't even think at all. I need to talk to him it's not fair that I treat him like that. But also I'm hurt at the fact that even though it was a small incident he was just laughing with Camille instead of worrying about me. Call me selfish but when the person you love doesn't even care, well it hurts a lot.

I grab my phone from the bedside table to find ten missed phone calls from Shane. I'm about to call him back when Sarah sits up.

She yawns covering her mouth. "Morning" she looks over at me, her hair a mess. "How are you feeling today? Better?" she suggests

I smile not showing my teeth. "Yeah, I should probably go home-" I stop. "Shoot my parents. They must be worried about me. "

"Relax, I called them last night, they know you spent the night." She stands up pulling up her shorts. "Do you want some breakfast? Cause I'm starving!"

"Sure" I take a look at my phone. I'll just call him later. I look back at Sarah. "Come on! I'm craving chocolate chip pancakes."

"I knew there was a reason we're best friends."

~|~

I slam the front door closed. "Mom! Dad! I'm home!" I kick my shoes off near the small table by the door.

"In the kitchen honey!" my mom shouts

I run my fingers through my damp hair as I make my way to the kitchen. The first person I see is Pepper, she's reading a book quietly to herself, then I see my dad chopping onions and my mom drinking a glass of wine by his side. Lastly, I see Ryan and Shane playing cards at the dinner table.

I immediately freeze. Every single pair of eyes in the room focus on me. What the heck is he doing here so early? I was gonna call him, I would have really preferred it that way.

"Grace" my dad says "come and help me. Your mom" he kisses her cheek "isn't helping me at all."

"Or" Ryan suggest turning in his chair. "You can play cards." He glances at Shane. "With us"

"No thanks, I'll be in my room if you need me."  I turn on my heel and head upstairs avoiding Shane's gaze.

As soon as I enter my bedroom I start undressing. I take the white romper off and throw it on the floor. I glare at it. I felt beautiful in that. But it was Camille's, it is Camille's and somehow that makes it worse.

I shake my head. Okay I have got to stop feeling sorry for myself. I remove my bra and wrap a towel around myself. I throw my dirty clothes in the hamper and I'm just about to walk to the bathroom when my door opens.

I quickly tighten the towel around my body as Shane's blue eyes roam all the way from my toes to my face. An expression that I have never seen before crosses his features. He sucks in a breath of air.