Chapter 40

Grace

He doesn't want me. I came all this way for him and he doesn't want me. I an such a fool. A freaking idiot. And now he's taking me home.

Shane unlocks the car. I walk to the passenger side and get in. He hands me a bottled water as he buckles up.

"Thanks" I mutter

As he backs out and gets on the road I look at him. "Thats it then? You're giving up?"

"Grace just stop."

"Why should I?"

He shakes his head. He turns up the music. It blares through the speakers loud enough so there's no talking.

I gape at him. He did not just do that. Fine. If he wants silence I'll give him silence. I turn my gaze to the window.

And because I'm a girl and I have emotions and my hormones are going haywire. I start crying. I try to turn my face so he can't see me cry. My shoulders start shaking and pretty soon I'm full out bawling.

He turns the music down. "Grace?"

I shake my head and try to calm myself down. "I'm okay. I'm just really, really tired."

"Don't worry, we're almost to your house and then you can lay down."

I look at him. "I'm tired of this!" I shout. "I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired of you ignoring me. Can't you talk to me?!"

His blue gaze darkens. "Fine!" He screeches to a halt right in the middle of the street.

He turns his body towards me. "You want me to talk? I'll talk." He says angrily. "You're impossible. You make your decisions based on what other people tell you. You never come to me and ask me the side of the story!"

"You pushed me away Grace! All these years you've pushed me away! Like the dances for example. I wanted to take you! I finally asked you! And what did you do? You pushed me away. Last week when Camille said all those things. What did you do? You slapped me. Broke my heart and you pushed me away."

Shocked, I stare at him. His eyes are blazing with anger. His left hand is tightly holding on to the wheel and his right hand is sprawled on the shoulder of his seat.

"In a relationship there is trust and communication that's how people make it work."

More tears run down my face. "What are you saying?"

Shane runs a hand through his hair. He takes a deep breath his gaze directed out the window behind me. "It means I'm letting you go."

"What?"

"We'll never work Grace." His gaze is still directed out the window.

"You're lying. Look at me. Look me in the eye and tell me you don't love me. Tell me you don't want me anymore."

I lay my hand on his and his gaze finally snaps to mine. "Tell me." I demand

He rips his hand from mine. "I'll take you home" he shifts gears and soon we arrive at my house. He parks but leaves the car on.