Chapter 27

Grace

"Why are you doing this?" Sarah doesn't answer so I smack her on the head with a pillow.

"Ouch!" She stops rummaging through my closet to glare at me. "Because you need to change your wardrobe. Show some skin."

I roll my eyes. "We don't have time for that. I'm already ready for school, and we're going to be late if we don't hurry."

She pulls out a black top that's long sleeved. She smiles. Then she rips the bottom half of the shirt.

My eyes widen and I pull it away from her. "What the heck? Whats wrong with you? Why would you do that?!"

She rolls her eyes. "Calm down." She unzips her bag and pulls out a pair of white skinny jeans.

Then it registers in my head. "No." I grab my bag and walk to the door. "I don't know what you're planning, but I'm not wearing that."

"Yes you are." She crosses her arms. "Even if I have to force you into this outfit, you are wearing this. It's time for—" she pauses choosing her words carefully "—you to embrace your body."

"No"

"Yes"

~|~

I fidget with my fingers as I try to ignore the stares I keep receiving. I awkwardly move through the hallways trying not to look at anyone in the eyes. I just want to get to the library.

When I get to the door I freeze. Shane and Camille are sitting at my table. They're holding hands quietly laughing. It hurts. And once again tears prickle at the back of my eyes.

Someone slams their locker, snapping my attention away from Shane and Camille. I move closer to the door, peeking through the window. I take deep breaths and count to ten in my head.

Shane does a double take when he sees me. His blue eyes rake over my body stopping at my face. Everywhere he looks I feel heat, like his gaze is burning my body. I try to pull down the now black crop top as to not show much skin and pull up my skinny jeans.

Camille waves me inside, scooting closer to Shane. I fake a smile taking a deep breath before walking in. Camille's eyes widen at my appearance while Shane keeps staring. I stand in front of them crossing my arms over my stomach.

"Grace? Wow!" Camille says "you look great!"

"Um thanks."

"So Shane and I were wondering if after the dance you wanted to come to my house. Of course Sarah is also invited. I'm having a sleep over with just us friends," she exaggerates the last word a little. "But I mean you guys can bring dates."

I nod. "Okay I'll-I'll get back to you." A wave of nervousness comes over me as I look at Shane. He's still staring at me. "I'll see you around."

"Yeah" he says quietly, almost sad. "I hope so"

I walk out of there as fast as I can, and walk to the art room. I blush as I walk in. Sarah and Jay are kissing very passionately, like pulling at each other's hair and holding onto each other tightly. I turn around hoping to get out of there without them noticing me but my clumsy self bumps into the bucket of brushes. I pause wincing at all the noise.

"Grace?"

I try not to laugh. "I'm so sorry" I say embarrassed. "I'll clean it up." I crouch to the floor hurriedly trying to get all the brushes so I can get out of there.

Sarah and Jay both approach me and lean down helping me clean the mess up.

"What's wrong?" Sarah asks.

"Nothing." We stand up and I take a step back. "I'll talk to you later. I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing."

Jay chuckles for once, not in his usual bad mood. "I'll let you girls talk." He kisses Sarah on the cheek, departing back to his canvas.

I smile so big my cheeks hurt as Sarah and I stand there. "So when did this happen?"

She giggles, turning pink. "like right now."

"Okay then I should really go."

"No" she grabs my hand. "Talk to me. I know you're upset about something."

"Camille invited us to her sleep over after the dance. The thing is. . . she said we should bring dates. Who the heck am I gonna bring? And also I wasn't exactly planning on going to the dance."

She smacks me. "Shut up you're going, it's our last one before we graduate. You'll regret it if you don't go. Don't worry about a date, I have you covered. Actually don't worry about anything. Just leave everything to me."

"Sarah" I say "I know you're planning something, please don't do anything reckless."

She giggles. "Grace I'm Sarah Tanner, I'm known to be reckless. Don't worry you'll thank me in the end."

With that she walks back to Jay. I stare after her. I love Sarah but she can get a little crazy and her plans sometimes turn out to be worse than better.