Chapter 21

Grace

Slam!

I roll off the bed hitting my head on the floor. I groan in pain applying pressure to the bump with my hand.

"The baby! Grace the baby is coming!" Ryan yells, he grabs me by the shoulders shaking me awake. "I'm going to be a father!"

I push his hands off. "Oh my god. Where's Pepper? We need to get her to the hospital!"

"She's downstairs!" He shouts "Mom and dad are getting the car. Grace." His eyes start to water. "I'm going to be a dad" he whispers

I grab his hand. "And you're going to be a damn good one! Come on let's get you to your wife." I drag him by the hand and into the living room.

Pepper is cradling her stomach and a sheer layer of sweat covering her forehead. Her face is contorted in pain. "Ryan" she complains "it hurts!"

Ryan runs to her side and holds onto her shaking hand. "I know baby, I'm sorry."

My dad runs through the front door. "Cars ready! Ryan carry your wife to the car."

Ryan turns to me. "I need you to pack a bag for the baby" he instructs "The baby is arriving earlier than we anticipated. We haven't packed anything."

I nod "on it"

Ryan carries Pepper out the door. My dad stands in the doorway "Meet us there"

He slams the door and I rush to pack baby clothes. It's not until I hear the car screeching down the road that I remember. How the heck am I gonna get to the hospital. I don't have a car.

I frantically run to my room. I grab my phone and dial my parents. They don't answer.  I groan "What am I gonna do?"

Shane. I'll call Shane. I check the time. It's 2:37 in the morning. Oh well I need him.

I quickly dial his number. On the third ring he picks up.

"Hello?"

"Shane" I breath "I need your help!"

I hear him move around. "What's wrong? Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine. Pepper is having the baby and my parents left me behind to pack the baby's bag. Could you give me a ride to the hospital?"

He laughs. "Yeah I'll be there in 5 minutes."

We hang up and I start packing the bag. I pack everything I can think of to a blanket, socks and bottles, clothes and diapers.  By the time I'm zipping bag close Shane is running up the stairs. He has on sweatpants and a hoodie. His hair is all messy sticking up in every direction.

"Hey" he hugs me to him. "You're gonna be an aunt. I'm so happy for you!"

"I'm happy too!" He releases me and I grab the bag. "Now come on, we have to go!"

~|~

"Hurry Sarah!" I yell

"I'm coming!" She runs to us a blanket on her shoulders. She jumps in the car. "Step on it Shane!"

Shane does as she says. "I can't believe Ryan is gonna be a a dad!" she shouts excitedly "and Pepper a mom!"

I smile and Shane grabs my hand. His touch sends warm tingles up my body.

"Well go faster dumb ass!" Sarah exclaims. "I wanna be there already and you're going 60 on a 55 mph zone!"

Shane steps on the gas. "If I get pulled over" he warns "you're paying for the ticket."

~|~

We rush inside the hospital, a speeding ticket in hand. We start with running to the third floor but we quickly get yelled at so we settle with fast walking. Soon we spot my parents in the waiting room and I hand them the bag.

"Mom. Dad. How's Pepper?"

"Oh she's great! She was very very lucky it was a fast delivery. Ryan is with their son right now, while Pepper rests."

"By the way what took so long?" My dad asks

Sarah groans rolling her eyes. She holds up the ticket. Shane smirks flicking her forehead. She smacks his hand glaring at him.

My parents laugh. "Ah memories" my dad comments as he hugs my mom. "Remember that time you and I went parking and-"

"Okay" I cut in "let's talk about something else."

~|~

"Isn't he beautiful?" Ryan gushes. He gently grasps the baby's fingers lightly bending them.

"Yeah" I agree "he's something else." The baby coos making a crying face. He pauses for a second then starts crying bloody murder.

I laugh as Ryan panics. "Shh no baby it's okay, don't cry."

"He's just hungry" Pepper says. "Here give him to me." Ryan gently hands the baby to Pepper. He kisses both of them on their foreheads.

"I'll be outside." I mumble as I walk out of there and back into the waiting room. My parents went home to take showers and change  but Shane, Sarah and I stayed.

"Should I post this one, or this one." Sarah holds out her phone and shows a picture of the baby to Shane.

He frowns "They both look the same."

Sarah rolls her eyes. "They have different filters. At least help me one out since I'm paying for your ticket."

Shane grins. "I like the first one better."

I sit down by Sarah and cover my mouth as I yawn.

"Tired?" Shane asks. I nod rubbing my eyes.

"I'm tired too" Sarah says. "Let's go home and sleep. Im guessing we're not going to school?"

"No" I say "definitely not."