Chapter 31

Grace

I lean against the side of the house and slowly slide down to my knees hiding behind the bushes. I watch Cam walk right by me aiming his water gun at nothing. I quietly giggle to myself.

After David and Dylan retrieved the water guns, Camille sorted us into teams. Sarah, Jay, David, Cam and I are on a team while Camille, Shane, Beth, and Dylan are on another. Shane is still in the bathroom doing who knows what. We got tired of waiting so we all just left him, although Camille did leave a water gun for him and told him to join us outside when he was ready.

I crawl to the back of the house still behind the bushes and immediately hear footsteps approaching. I close my eyes, praying the person doesn't see me.

"Grace" David sings "where are you?"

I still counting to ten. After about thirty seconds David walks away. I stick my head out in the clear air, looking left to right. There's no one.

I hug the water gun to my chest and run to the small shed I almost chocked to death in when Sarah and I helped Camille arrange the party for David.

As soon as I open the door, there's a gun already pointed at me. Camille smiles, her white teeth glowing in the dark.

"I won't shoot if you won't"

I lay my gun down on the ground surrendering. I move next to her, kneeling to her level. "Has anyone been caught?"

She shakes her head. "No"

"How do you know?"

She pulls out her phone showing me text messages from Dylan. "He and Beth are together" she whispers "I'm keeping tabs"

We sit in silence for a few minutes when the doors open. Sarah and Jay point their guns.

"Traitor" she says to me. Then she sprays us.

Camille shrieks. She reaches for her gun as I grab my own. We walk out of the shed aiming at each other. I manage to get Jays shirt soaked while Sarah soaked me from head to toe. Camille only managed to get her shorts and half her shirt soaked.

As soon as we run out of water Cam, Dylan, David and Beth attack us. We all run around the yard screaming, yelling and laughing. I manage to run away, everybody else to busy to notice.

I'm breathing hard as I make it to the front of the house. I quickly make my way inside. They won't find me in here. I lock the door behind me and walk to the bathroom for a towel. As soon as I reach for the handle, the door opens.

Shane's eyes roam my body. The shirt is sticking to my wet body like a second skin. He groans looking at the ceiling. "Why are you doing this to me Gracie?"

I frown stepping back. What is he talking about? I haven't done anything to him. My eyes shift to the bottle in his hand. It's halfway empty. "Shane maybe you should stop drinking" I grab the bottle from his hand. "Why don't you come outside and-"

"I don't want to go outside." He retreats into the bathroom plopping on the toilet. He drops his head on his hands.

My heart aches as I look at him. Something is bothering him. I walk in the bathroom closing the door behind us. I kneel to the floor. "Shane what's wrong?"

He lifts his head, staring at me. I stare back. I love the way his eyes are so blue they remind me of the ocean. I push his hair away from his forehead. He closes his eyes.

"Hey" I whisper "tell me what's wrong?"

He reopens his eyes and gently grabs my wrists pulling me towards him. "Why did you say yes to him? Why are you with David?"

I try to move away but he keeps me locked in place. "Why else would I say yes Shane?" I laugh nervously "because I like him."

His eyes harden and he tightens his grip on my wrists. "Break up with him." He demands.

I look at him like he just slapped me in the face. Anger bubbles in the pit of my stomach. "No" I say moving away. I look at him in disbelief. "How can you even say that?"

He stands, breathing hard, his shoulders rising at every breath. "Grace he's gonna hurt you! He's older than you, besides he's only looking for one thing. To get in your pants."

My eyes start to water. I shake my head. "You're just drunk Shane. You're just saying things you don't mean."

"No Grace, I'm not. I want you to break up with him." He moves closer to me. "He doesn't deserve you."

That's when I snap. I push him as hard as I can. He stumbles backwards almost collapsing on the wall, but he stops himself, wide eyed.

"Then who the hell does!" I shout, my voice cracking. "Does no one?" I raise my palm to my chest over my heart. All I feel is anger and pain. He doesn't have the right to say anything. He's not gonna talk to me that way.

I look at Shane and glare at him. "I hate you, you know. You're suppose to be my best friend, not my body guard!" I practically yell

He starts walking towards me, determination in every step. I back away hitting a wall behind me.

"You're my best friend" he says angrily "and I'm not going to let some jerk hurt you!"

I frown "well I can defend myself Shane. I know how to, I'm not stupid!"

"Guys like that don't deserve girls like you!"

"I get to choose who I like, not you!"

"No" he says "I'm not going to let you." Either you break up with him or. . ."

"Or what!" I challenge looking into his blue eyes

He stares at me with a hazed expression. "Or this" he says backing me against the wall and slamming his lips on mine. . .