Chapter 24

Grace

I slowly sit back down on the seat. A heavy feeling along with a prickling sensation appear in my chest. Pain. Heartbreak. All in one piece come together to form a gaping hole in my heart.

I fight back the urge to cry. I slowly curl my hands into fists and try to fight the numbing and crushing sensation as cheers and whistles erupt around me.

David cheers along with everyone else. He pumps his hand in the air. "Woo!"

I watch them kiss even harder. My throat tightens and my stomach swirls with pain almost like period cramps. "I'm going to the bathroom." I announce

David nods. "Don't be too long we still have to eat desert."

I don't respond. I quickly stand and speed walk to the bathroom. As soon as I burst through the doors a big sob escapes. My shoulders shake and I silently cry, covering my mouth with my hand.

I look at myself on the mirror. I was stupid. Pathetic. Why did I have to like him. I knew he was going to hurt me. I knew they were going to get together. I just knew all along and I still hoped that maybe they wouldn't.

I jump as the door slams open. Sarah stands in the doorway. Sadness and pity cross her face.

I look back at her from the mirror. "Why?" I cry

She runs over to me and wraps her arms around me. The feeling alone makes me cry even harder. "Call Ryan for me" I manage to say "I want to go home"

Sarah nods immediately pulling out her cellphone. I hear her talking to Ryan but don't catch anything she says. I'm too busy running the image of the boy I like kissing another girl.

"Done" Sarah says grabbing toilet paper from one of the stalls. "He'll be here in five minutes." She dabs at my makeup already ruined from crying. "What do we tell David. Did you talk to him?"

I nod trying to calm my breathing as more tears roll down my face. "He agreed to be friends with me. He just still wanted to eat and I was hungry so we stayed." I breathe out trying not to cry. "We'll just tell him I don't feel good, that I threw up.

Sarah agrees. "I'm sorry Grace" she whispers "I couldn't stop Shane. Please don't be mad at me."

I hug her. "I'm not mad at you. You didn't do anything wrong." I wipe my eyes. "Now let's go, I want to go home."

Sarah takes my hans as we slowly walk back to the table. Shane, Camille and Cam are now sitting at the booth with David. Shane is looking around the room desperately. He runs his hand through his hair but stops midway as he catches sight of me.

The urge to cry hits me again. I bite my lip and try to put on a strong face. Shane stands "Grace-"

"David" I say with as much as enthusiasm as I can muster "thank you so much for dinner but I'm not feeling well."

David stand up as well. He palms my face. "Have you been crying?"

I avoid Shane's gaze and stare right into Davids. "No." I gently push Davids hands off my face. "I threw up in the bathroom, it must have been from the strength of having to vomit that my eyes look red."

"I can take you home" Shane steps beside David.

"No" I say quickly. "Ryan should be here in a few minutes" I can't help it I look at Camille. She's glowing, a smile on her face and her cheeks slightly pink.

"Can you please hand me my purse?"

She grabs it from the other side of her. She hands it to me but Shane intercepts and steals it from her hand. This time I look at him and my eyes start to water.

He stares at me. That's it. He doesn't say anything. I have had enough. I rip my purse from his hand. I turn to David and hug him. I kiss him on the cheek and whisper in his ear. "Thanks for being my friend."

He nods, kissing me on the cheek. I struggle to smile but manage. To spare me of more humiliation I turn to leave as fast I can with Sarah on my heel.

"Bye Grace!" Camille shouts from behind me. I can hear Cam saying goodbye too but I don't respond.

As soon as I'm outside Ryan drives into the parking lot of the diner. Sarah runs to the car as the sky opens and rain pours from the sky.

Someone twirls me around, and I fine that, that someone is Shane as I come face to face with him. "Grace, he rushes to say "what you saw back there with Camille-"

"I'm happy for you" I try to keep my voice under control as tears roll down my cheeks in comparison to the rain. I don't even mind as it soaks us from head to toe.

I gently pull my arm away. I look at him dead in the eye and reach into my purse fumbling around until I find what I'm looking for.

I yank his hand to me and set the bracelet he gave me onto his palm curling his fingers. "She deserves this more than me. Go to the dance with her. We're not meant to go together. We're not meant to be anything."

I turn, ready to march to the car but he runs in front of me. His blue eyes shine with fear. "No. Don't do this. I want to go to the dance with you. I have always wanted to go with you."

I shake my head. "Shane. Go with her. She likes you. You like her. I'm not gonna stop you from going with Camille."

He shakes me by the shoulders. "Aren't you listening to me! I want to go with you!"

"Well I don't want to go with you!" I shout back. "You can't just kiss a girl then expect me not to do anything about it! You kissed Camille, Shane. You can't lead a girl on. I know you're not that type of guy and bringing me to the dance isn't going to help your case."

I push him away finally escaping from him. As soon as I get inside Ryan rushes out of the parking lot. I watch Shane from the window his shoulders slumped looking defeated. I look away and face the front finally letting the tears run free.